Hide

EDLASTON, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"EDLASTON, a parish in the hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 3 miles S. of Ashbourne, its post town and railway station. It includes the township of Wyaston. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £212, in the patronage of the bishop". The church is a small ancient structure dedicated to St. James. There is an old yew tree in the churchyard of unusual size. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel in the township, and there is an infant school. Snelston Hall is the principal residence."

"WYASTON, a township in the parish of Edlaston, county Derby, 2 miles S. of Ashbourne."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]