EYAM, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"EYAM, a parish in the hundred of High Peak, county Derby, 5 miles N. of Bakewell, its post town, and 12 S.W. of Sheffield. It includes the townships of Eyam, Foolow, and Woodland Eyam. The river Derwent passes close by the parish. The greater part of the land is pasture and meadow, with a considerable tract of moor and woodland. In September, 1665, the infection having been conveyed hither in a package from London, four-fifths of the inhabitants of the village were carried off by the plague.
The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £226. The church is an ancient structure, nearly covered with ivy. It is dedicated to St. Helen, and contains monuments of the Middletons and other families. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum. The Wesleyan Methodists have places of worship in the parish, and there is an endowed free school. Fairs are held on the 13th April, 4th September, and 18th October for live stock and provisions. The dukes of Devonshire and Buckingham are lords of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]