Hide

Foston and Scropton

hide
Hide

FOSTON, a township in the parish of Scropton, hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 6 miles N.W. of Burton. At Scropton is a railway station on the North Staffordshire line, about 1½ mile S.E. of this village. It is situated on the N. bank of the river Dove. Foston Hall is the principal residence. Here is a meet for the Hoar Cross hounds."

"SCROPTON, a parish in the hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 11½ miles S.W. of Derby, its post town, and 5 N.W. of Burton-on-Trent. It is a station of the North Staffordshire railway. The village is situated on the river Dove, and is wholly agricultural. The parish includes the township of Foston. That portion of the parish which extends into Needwood Forest has been joined to Staffordshire. The glebe comprises 15 acres.

The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £80. The church, dedicated to St. Paul, is an ancient structure with a tower containing three bells. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. There is a free school. J. Broadhurst, Esq., is lord of the manor. A feast is held on the nearest Sunday to St. Paul's Day.”

from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Tutbury sub-district of the Burton upon Trent Registration District.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 1958
1891 R.G. 12 / 2196
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Paul.
     
  • The church was built in the village of Scropton.
     
  • The church was rebuilt in 1856.
     
  • The church seats 275.
     
  • Michael PATTERSON provides a photograph of Saint Paul's Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2006.
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1681.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Longford.
     
  • Paul JONES provides a transcription of the Parish Records 1680-1812 on his website.
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Tutbury sub-district of the Burton upon Trent Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

"FOSTON, a township in the parish of Scropton, hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 6 miles N.W. of Burton. At Scropton is a railway station on the North Staffordshire line, about 1½ mile S.E. of this village. It is situated on the N. bank of the river Dove. Foston Hall is the principal residence. Here is a meet for the Hoar Cross hounds."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]

Foston Brook is the small stream that flows through the parish.

You can see pictures of Foston and Scropton which are provided by:

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Foston and Scropton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • Scropton was historically the larger of the two settlements, with Foston being more of a hamlet just to the north.
     
  • The parish had an annual feast on the nearest Sunday to St. Paul's Day (25th of January).
     
  • In 1953, the Ministry of Justice acquired Foston Hall and converted it into a closed female prison. It was closed in 1996 for remodeling and re-opened in July, 1997.
     
  • In the 20th century the Dove Valley Business Park was established in Foston and a number of small industries have been encouraged to open there.
topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK189312 (Lat/Lon: 52.877939, -1.720618), Foston and Scropton which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • In 1891, Foston Hall was the property and sometimes residence of Admiral Sir Arthur CUMMING. The Admiral had been born in France in 1817. He is probably most noted for his anti-slavery operations in the Royal Navy. He retired from the navy in 1880.
topup

Obituaries

Jane TAYLOR of Redcar provides this extract from the Derby Mercury of 4 January 1804: DIED: "A few days since as Thomas BLACKSHAW, aged ten years, servant to T.K. HALL, Esq. of Foston, in this county, was returning from the blacksmith's with a blind horse, he fell over the battlements of the bridge, and the water being high, was unfortunately drowned."

topup

Politics & Government

  • Foston was an ancient Township on the Derby and Staffordshire county border. In December, 1866, Foston became a seperate, modern Civil Parish.
     
  • In 1890 this Civil Parish was severed from Staffordshire and placed under Derby county administrative control.
     
  • This parish was in the ancient Appletree Hundred (or Wapentake).
     
  • You may contact the Foston and Scropton Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to provide you with family history searches.
     
  • District governance is provided by the South Derbyshire District Council.
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Sudbury petty session hearings.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act, this parish became a member of the Burton upon Trent Poorlaw Union.