Description from Cassell's Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland, 1899 Transcription by Brian Willey © 2005
Parish, Township and village on the Derwent, North Derbyshire, 9 Miles north of Bakewell. Acreage of Parish, 14,214; of Township, 3,419. Soil mixed, overlying gritstone. The Decorated church of St. Michael (partly restored, 1852) is noted for its fine situation and its stained-glass windows, of which the west one was presented by the Eyres, once lords of the manor. In the chancel is an alter-tomb (restored 1832) of Robert Eyre, who fought at Agincourt (died 1459) and his wife and 14 children; there are also many other memorials in stone and brass to both earlier and later Eyres.
The ancient custom of hanging up funeral garlands in the church was maintained here long after it had died out in most other places.
Two stones in the church-yard, 13 feet 4 inches asunder are believed to mark the spot where the remains of Little John, Robin Hood's companion, rested until removed less than a century ago by antiquaries. There is a Roman Catholic chapel of St.Michael, and a Wesleyan chapel dating from 1802.
In the village, the manufacture of needles, pins, hooks, steel wire, etc. is carried on. On Hathersage Moor is a British fortification called “Carl's Wark”, with a vallum some 17 feet thick and 150 feet long, faced with masonry, nearer the church is “Camp Green”, a Danish or British earthwork. Hathersage Hall was built in 1496 and enlarged in the 19th century. Brookfield Manor, also ancient, stands in a large park; Nether Hall and The Tower both overlook the Derwent; and Longshaw Lodge is used as a shooting-box.
Nearest railway station: Hathersage
. Distance from London: 160 miles.
Population: Parish. 2,327; Township: 1,210.
[Content dated 1892]
[Transcribed by Brian Willey in July 2005]