"HEAGE, a chapelry and township in the parish of Duffield, hundred of Appleton, county Derby, 2½ miles N.E. of Belper, its post town, and 1 mile S.E. of Ambergate station on the Midland Counties railway. It is an extensive township situated near the river Derwent and the Cromford canal. There are extensive iron works and coal mines. Edge tools are manufactured, and lace-making is also carried on. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £150.
The church, which is an ancient structure, was thoroughly restored and enlarged in 1836. The parochial charities produce about £40 per annum, of which £28 goes to the support of Storer's school. The Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, have each a chapel. There is a National school for both sexes, supported by voluntary contributions. Francis Hurt, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"EDGE HIGH, a township and chapelry in the parish of Duffield, hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 2½ miles N.E. of Belper, its post town. The Ambergate station on the Midland Counties line is 1 mile N.W. of the village. Here are extensive iron-works, and large warehouses for goods brought by canal, also marble works, and a manufactory for edge-tools. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £150, in the gift of the Vicar of Duffield.
The chapel-of-ease is a large old edifice. The charities produce about £6 per annum. The Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Independents have each a chapel. There is an endowed free school, and National and infant schools. Francis Hurt, Esq., is lord of the manor." [EDGE HIGH noted as alternative spelling of HEAGE -RL 2003]