HEATH, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"HEATH, a parish in the hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 5 miles S.E. of Chesterfield, its post town, and 3 N.E. of the Clay Cross station. The village, which is small, and wholly agricultural, is situated on the road from Chesterfield to Mansfield. There are several coal-pits. The land is exceedingly fertile. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £259 4s. The living is a vicarage* in the dioc, of Lichfield, value £237.
The church, dedicated to All Saints, is situated on rising ground in the open fields, about a quarter of a mile S.E. of the village. It is a stone structure with a tower, and was thoroughly restored in 1850, when a new vestry room was built. Here is a school, endowed with £15 per annum, for 20 children. There is also a charity of £7 per annum distributed in clothes. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]