HOPE, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"HOPE, a parish in the hundred of High Peak, county Derby, 1 mile E. of Castleton, 12 miles N. W. of Bakewell, its post town, and 15 S.W. of Sheffield. It is situated on the river Noe, and contains Bradwell, Brough, Fairfield, and 15 other townships Hope was formerly a market town under the Fitzwarrens, who had a castle here. The inhabitants are engaged in the cotton, rope, hat, and lace manufactures.
The larger part of the land is in moorland. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £380, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. There is a district church at Fairfield, the living of which is a donative curacy*, value £79. The parish church, dedicated to St. Peter, has a tower crowned with a spire, and contains six bells.
The parochial charities produce about £73 per annum, of which £7 goes to a free school. Here is a place of worship for the Methodists. The bodies of two persons buried in the moors in 1674 were found twenty years after in an undecayed state, the skin being soft, and resembling tanned leather. Joseph Hall, Esq., is lord of the manor. A market for cattle is held on the last Wednesday in every month."
"HOPE-WOODLAND, a hamlet in the parish of Hope, hundred of High Peak, county Derby, 6 miles N. E. of Tideswell."
"WOODLAND HOPE, (or Hope Woodlands), a hamlet in the parish of Hope, hundred of High Peake, county Derby, 2 miles E. of Castleton."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]