“HULLAND, a township and ecclesiastical district in the parish of Ashbourne, hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 5 miles N.E. of Ashbourne, its post town, and 6 W. of the Belper and Duffield railway stations. The village, which is small, is situated on rising ground. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in dairy farming.
The land is rich and fertile. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. The church is situated on an eminence, and near to it is the National school. Divine service is performed in a small endowed building at Hulland-Ward-Intakes, which is annexed to Mugginton. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here."
"HULLAND WARD, a township in the parish of Ashbourne, hundred of Appletree, county Derby. 5 miles N.E. of Ashbourne."
"HULLAND-WARD-INTAKES, a township in the parish of Ashbourne, hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 6 miles S.E. of Ashbourne.”
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
Hulland Ward is served by the Mobile Library on route 5, which stops at Ashes Avenue Car Park on every fourth Monday in the early afternoon.
Mike FOWKES has a photograph of the churchyard at Christ Church on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2006.
- The parish was in the Ashbourne sub-district of the Ashbourne Registration District until 1901.
- Prior to the 1911 census, the parish was reassigned to the Brassington sub-district of the Ashbourne Registration District until 1901.
- Check for census records at Wirksworth.org.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No. 1851 H.O. 107 / 2146 1861 R.G. 9 / 2519 & 2521 1891 R.G. 12 / 2751 & 2753
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Christ.
- The church was built in 1838.
- The church seats 273.
- Mike FOWKES has a photograph of Christ Church on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2006.
- There was once a church in Biggin township, but by 1900 even the site of the church had been forgotten.
- The Anglican parish register daes from 1838.
- The churh was in the rural deanery of Ashborne.
- We have a pop-up window of Parish Register burials partially extracted into a text file for your review. Your additions are welcomed.
- By 1891 the Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel here.
- By 1891 the Primitive Methodists had three chapels here.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Ashbourne sub-district of the Ashbourne Registration District.
"HULLAND, a township and ecclesiastical district in the parish of Ashbourne, hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 5 miles N.E. of Ashbourne, its post town, and 6 W. of the Belper and Duffield railway stations. The village, which is small, is situated on rising ground. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in dairy farming."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]
Hulland Ward is a township and a small village in the parish. The A517 secondary road runs through the south edge of the village. Colin PYLE has a photograph of the A517 junction west of Hulland Ward on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2016.
Cross-o’-th’-Hands, Shuckton Manor and Wardgate are all places within the Hulland Ward township.
Biggin (both Nether and Upper) is a township and a small village in the parish.
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Hulland entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- The transcription of the section for Hulland from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin HINSON.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hulland to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hulland has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK249474 (Lat/Lon: 53.023319, -1.630229), Hulland which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Traces of War website tells us that Christ Church's churchyard has 1 Commonwealth War Grave from World War I and 1 from World War II.
- In 1891 and 1912, Lt.-Col. John Edward Paget MOSLEY resided in Hulland Hall. He had been a Colonel in the Bengal Staff Corps.
These are the two Commonwealth War Grave burials in Hulland Ward churchyard:
- This place was an ancient Township in Ashbourne parish in Derby county and it became a separate, modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
- This parish was in the ancient Appletree Hundred (or Wapentake).
- District governance is provided by the Derbyshire Dales District Council.
- The Common Land was enclosed here in 1773.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Ashbourn petty session hearings.
- Biggin Township Bastardy cases would be heard in the Wirksworth petty session hearings.
- With the passage of the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a member of the Ashbourne Poorlaw Union.
In an 1875 Will, Samuel DUROE of Hulland Ward, mentions:
- friend William HALL Carr Hall farmer Executor
- friend Thomas WOOLLEY bricklayer and farmer, Executor
- "aged mother Frances DUROE"
- brother John
- brother Thomas
- brother Frank
- sister Dorothy
- sister Fanny
- sister Judy
- George Thomas WHITE witness
- John Berresford RODGERS witness