"GREAT LONGSTONE, a chapelry in the parish of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, county Derby, 3 miles N.W. of Bakewell, its post town, and 12 W. of Chesterfield. It is a station on the Buxton branch of the Midland railway. The townships of Holme, Little Longstone, and a portion of Wardlow, are included in this chapelry The impropriation belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield. The vicarial tithes of Great and Little Longstone were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1810.
The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £180, in the gift of the vicar of the parish. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. Giles. It contains monuments of the Eyre family, earls of Newburgh. There is a school, with an endowment of £15. The other charities produce about £30 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor. Longstone Hall is the principal residence." [Recorded as LONGSTONE MAGNA in Gazetteer -RL 2003]
"HOLME, a township in the parish of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, county Derby, a quarter of a mile N. of Bakewell. In conjunction with the chapelry of Great Longstone it forms a township."
"LITTLE LONGSTONE, a township in the parish of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, county Derby, 3½ miles N. W. of Bakewell. It is situated in the vicinity of the river Wye, at the base of some lofty hills. Divine service is performed in a room in which a Sunday-school is also held." [Recorded as LONGSTONE PARVA in Gazetteer -RL 2003]