MORTON, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"MORTON, a parish in the hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 3 miles N.E. of Alfreton, its post town, and 1 mile S.E. of the Stretton railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the line of the Midland railway, and is wholly agricultural. The parish comprises the joint township of Brackenfield and Woolley-Moor. The land is chiefly in pasture, and the surface elevated.
The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £360, in the patronage of St. John's College, Cambridge, and G. Turbutt, Esq., alternately. The church, dedicated to the Holy Cross, is a structure with a square embattled and pinnated tower containing three bells. The church was rebuilt in 1850. The interior of the church has some monuments. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. There is an old chapel at Brackenfield dedicated to the Holy Trinity."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]