Hide

Normanton (by Derby) - by Daniel and Samuel Lysons, 1817

hide
Hide
Transcription by Barbarann AYARS © 2002
[Included with Lyson's Magna Britannia Vol 5: Derbyshire, page 101: DERBY]
Normanton is situated about two miles nearly south of Derby, in the hundred of Repton and Gresley. The manor, which was granted to the monks of Derley, in the year 1234, was granted by King Henry VIII, in 1544, to Roland Babington, Esq. It was purchased of the Babingtons, in 1582 or 1583, by Henry Beaumont, Esq., from whose family it passed to the Dixies, and is now the property of Mrs. Pochin, sister of the late Sir Wolstan Dixie, Bart. The Babingtons, and afterwards the Beaumonts and Dixies, had a seat at Normanton. It was in ruins in 1712. In the chapel is the monument of Charlotte Jane, wife of John Dalby, Esq, who died in 1812.

[From Lysons Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire, 1817.
Transcription kindly donated by Barbarann AYARS, 19-24th January 2002]