NORTH WINGFIELD, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"NORTH WINGFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 4 miles S.E, of Chesterfield. It is situated on the river Rother, and the Roman Icknield Street near the line of the North Midland railway, which has a station at Clay Cross, where it is carried through a tunnel 1,760 yards long, 22 feet wide, and 26 high. The expense of constructing this tunnel is said to have been £100 per yard, or £176,000. The parish comprises 7,603 acres, and has increased in population from 3,144 in 1841 to 7,339 in 1861, or more than double in 20 years.
The cause of this prosperity was the opening up of the extensive coal, lime, and ironstone beds, the Clay Cross colliery and ironworks alone employing above 600 hands. The parish contains the townships of Claylane, Pilsley, Stretton, Tupton, North Wingfield, and Woodthorp.
The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £1,200. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence or St. Leonard, is situated at some distance from the village. There are, besides the district church at Clay Cross, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, chapels for Wesleyans and New Connexion Methodists, also a mechanics' institute. The charities produce about £90 per annum. There are British, National, and other schools."
"TUPTON, a township in the parish of North Wingfield, hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 3½ miles S.E. of Chesterfield, on the Derby railway. Tupton Hall is the principal residence."
"WOODTHORPE, a township in the parish of North Wingfield, hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 4 miles S. of Chesterfield, near the Chesterfield canal."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]