Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Norton

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Norton

Primary tabs

topup

Archives and Libraries

There is no branch library in Norton. Use the Library in Bakewell, DBY, or the one in Sheffield, YKS.

topup

Cemeteries

The local Cemetery in Derbyshire Lane was opened in 1869 and contains a monument to William SWIFT, a local genealogist.

Alan HEARDMAN has a photograph of the St. James Churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2009.

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Norton sub-district of the Eclesall Berlow Registration District.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 195
1861 R.G. 9 / 3467
1871 R.G. 10 / 4667
1891 R.G. 12 / 3801

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Norton area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint James.
     
  • The remains of a 14th century preaching cross stand in front of the church.
     
  • The church was completely restored in 1882.
     
  • Alan HEARDMAN has a photograph of St. James Church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2009.
     
  • David PICKERSGILL also has a photograph of St. James Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2012.
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1559.
     
  • Marriages at Norton, 1559-1812 are available in Nigel BATTY-SMITH's database of scanned images of Phillimore's Parish Registers.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Dronfield.
     
  • The Free Methodist chapel at Norton was raised before 1895.
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Norton sub-district of the Eclesall Berlow Registration District.
     
topup

Description and Travel

"NORTON is an agricultural parish, containing a village of the same name, about two miles and a half from Dronfield and four from Sheffield. About one mile south-east is Hazelhurst and Oaks, the seats of William John Bagshaw, Esq. magistrate. The church, among which is an altar tomb, to the memory of the parents of John Blythe, Bishop of Salisbury, and Geffrey Blythe, Bishop of Lichfield, both of whom were born here: a place of worship for unitarians, and a grammar school, of ancient foundation are in the parish - which contained, in 1831, 1,747 inhabitants."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

Norton is 164 miles north of the City of London. The following places are constablewicks in this parish: Hemsworth, Bradway, Norton Lees and Woodseats.

A local landmark is the Norton Water Tower photograph here by Rdue HEALTH, taken in November, 2014. The water tower can be seen from parts of Sheffield to the north.

You can see pictures of Norton which are provided by:

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Norton to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Norton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

The parish was known for its production of saw files, scythes and sickles.

The University of Sheffield owns and maintains 45 acres of playing fields at Norton.

Graham HOGG has a photograph of the Obelisk to Sir Francis L. Chantrey on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2010. He was the leading portrait sculptor in Regency era Britain. CHANTREY was born at Jordanthorpe near Norton in April, 1781. Although he died in London in November 1841, he is buried in the Norton parish churchyard in a tomb he designed himself.

Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of a Modernist house on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2016.

topup

Manors

The present Norton Hall dates from 1815 but the Norton estate has great history and can be traced back to well before the Norman Conquest with the estate being mentioned in the last will and testament of the Anglo-Saxon nobleman Wulfric Spott who died c. 1002.

Stephen RICHARDS has a photograph of Norton Hall on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2002.

topup
topup

Military History

  • Major Lancelot George Butler BOWDEN resided in this parish with his wife, Ella, and son, John L., for part of his life. He died in September, 1909.
     
  • Colonel Nathaniel CRESWICK lived in Chantry Grange in 1895. CRESWICK was the author of the Sheffield Rules for football and went on to be a co-founder of the 2nd West Yorkshire Rifles in 1858. He died in 1917.
     
  • The War Memorial was erected in 1920.
     
  • Graham HARDY has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2006.
topup

Military Records

Ian S. has a photograph of the names on the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2014.

And the names of enlisted men.

And another set of names.

And The front inscription.

topup

Newspapers

Jane TAYLOR of Redcar provides this announcement from the Derby Mercury of 16 December, 1802: "MARRIED A few days ago, at Norton, in this county, Mr. LAMBERT, of Sheffield, to Mrs. HALL, widow, scythesmith, of the former place."

Jane TAYLOR of Redcar alsp has this clipping from the Derby Mercury of 19 May 1803: "MARRIED A few days ago, Mr John ROTHERY, of Sheffield, to Miss Mary BOOKER, of Norton, in this county."

topup

Obituaries

Jane TAYLOR in Redcar provides this notice from the Derby Mercury of 17 February 1803: "DIED: On Monday se'nnight, at Norton, in this county, John READ, Esq. formerly of Sheffield."

Jane TAYLOR submits this extract from the Derby Mercury of 20 September, 1804: "DIED: Lately, Mr Job HALL, farmer, of Norton, in this county."

Jane TAYLOR submits this extract from the Derby Mercury of 27 December, 1804: "DIED: On Wednesday se'nnight, at the advanced age of 96, Mr. BOOKER, of Lees Hall, near Norton, in this county."

topup

Politics and Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Derby county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • This parish was in the ancient Scarsdale Hundred (or Wapentake).
     
  • In April, 1935, this Civil Parish was abolished and the land and people amalgamated into Eckington Civil Parish.
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Eckington petty session hearings.
     
  • Petty sessions were held here every three weeks during summer at 'Bagshawe Arms,' in Hemsworth.
     
  • Neil THEASBY has a photograph of John Eaton's Almshouses' pavilion on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2015.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms, this parish became a member of the Ecclesall Bierlow Poorlaw Union.
topup

Schools

A School Board of 5 members was formed in the village in 1872.

A Board (formerly National) School was built in Greenhill, in 1843, and enlarged in 1890 for 250 children.