NORTON, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"NORTON, a parish and township in the hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 4 miles S. by E. of Sheffield, its post town, and 6 N.W. of Eckington railway station. The village, which is large, is situated on the road to Chesterfield, near the river Sheaf. It is chiefly agricultural, but scythes, sickles, files, and farm implements, are manufactured to a small extent. Petty sessions are held at the Bagshawe Arms on the second Wednesday in every month, and a farmer's club is held monthly at the above-named inn. The surface is hilly and wooded. About two-thirds of the land is arable, the remainder meadow, pasture, and woodland.
The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £228. The church, dedicated to St. James, has a square tower containing six bells. The interior of the church contains numerous monuments, among which is an altar tomb to the memory of the parents of John Blythe, Bishop of Salisbury, and Geoffrey Blythe, Bishop of Lichfield, both which prelates were born here; also one to Sir Francis Chantrey, the celebrated sculptor, who was born in this parish in 1782.
The same gentleman endowed a school with an annuity of £200. The Wesleyans and Unitarians have each a place of worship. There are several small charities for the benefit of the poor. Norton Hall and Norton House are the principal residences. A free school was founded and endowed by Edward Gill, in 1654, which has now an income of £67. There is also a National school for girls, which is supported by subscription."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]