“OCKBROOK, a parish in the hundred of Morleston, county Derby, 5½ miles E. by S. of Derby, and 1 mile N. of the Borrowash railway station. The village, which is large, is situated near the canal on the road from Nottingham to Derby. The rivers Derwent and Trent, and the Midland Counties railway, run through the parish. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the cotton mills on the banks of the Derwent, and in the manufacture of bobbin and lace thread. The tithes were commuted for an allotment of land under an Enclosure Act in 1772.
The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £154. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with a low-spired tower containing three bells. The E. window is of stained glass. The church was restored and enlarged in 1835. The parochial charities produce about £21 per annum. There are National and infant schools for both sexes.
The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. There are two boarding-schools, one for boys and the other for girls, and in the centre a large chapel. The Moravians have an establishment here, founded in 1750. The principal buildings stand in a regular line, and consist of a single sisters' house, in which upwards of thirty females are engaged in fine needlework, also a smaller house for about the same number of single men. Ockbrook House is the principal residence. The neighbourhood is studded with genteel residences."
"BURROW-ASH, a hamlet in the parish of Ockbrook, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, in the county of Derby, 5 miles to the E. of Derby. It is situated near the N. bank of the river Derwent, and is a station on the Midland railway. The Roman road from Derventio, or Little Chester, to Verometum, passed by this place. The manufacture of hosiery is carried on here. Burrow-Ash is within the honour of Tutbury, in the duchy of Lancaster." [BORROWASH/BURROWASH noted as alternative spellings -RL 2003]”
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Lychgate at All Saints Churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2017. The gate was constructed in 1923.
- The parish was in the Spondon sub-district of the Shardlow Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No. 1851 H.O. 107 / 2141 1861 R.G. 9 / 2493 1891 R.G. 12 / 2726
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- The church was enlarged and repaired in 1835.
- The church seats 400.
- Andrew ABBOTT has a photograph of a dark and dismal All Saints' Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2010.
- Stephen McKAY has a photograph of a portion of All Saints' Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2011.
- A mission chapel, dedicated to Saint Stephen, was built in Borrowash in 1889-90.
- During the 18th and 19th century, Ockbrook was a major centre of Moravian worship:
"At the village of Ockbrook, five miles from Derby, the Brethren built another beautiful settlement. For some years, with Ockbrook as a centre, they had a clear field for work in the surrounding district; they had preaching places at Eaton, Belper, Codnor, Matlock, Wolverhampton, Sheffield, Dale, and other towns and villages; and yet not a single one of these places ever developed into a congregation."
(A History of the Moravian Church, J. E. HUTTON, 1909)
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the broken Sundial at The Moravian Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2017.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1642, but the period between 1662 and 1669 is "irregular".
- Marriages at Ockbrook, 1631-1812 are available in Nigel BATTY-SMITH's database of scanned images of Phillimore's Parish Registers.
- Mike SPENCER has provided a partial extract of burials found in the parish register. Your additions and corrections are welcomed.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Ilkeston.
- The Primitive Methodists had a chapel built here in 1824 and enlarged in 1842.
- A Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built here in 1808.
- Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Methodist Church along Nottingham Road on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2017.
- The Primitive Methodists had a chapel built at Borrowash in 1851.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Spondon sub-district of the Shardlow Registration District.
"OCKBROOK is a parish, in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch; the village is about two miles E. from Spondon, and about five E. by S. from Derby. This place partakes with Spondon in the manufacture of bobbin-net and lace. At a short distance from the village is an establishment of the Moravians, founded in 1750; the females, who are employed in fine muslin work, occupy a building, called the 'sisters' house', separated from that inhabited by the single men by a commodious chapel and a boarding-school. The parish church, dedicated to All Saints, is chiefly in the Norman style of architecture. A place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists, and a national school, the latter erected in 1816, are in the village. The parish (which has no dependent township), contained, in 1821, 1,203 inhabitants, and in 1831, 1,634."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The parish is near the Derby Canal, 5 miles east of Derby city and 130 miles north of London. It covers over 1,600 acres and includes the village of Borrowash and the hamlet of Shacklecross (alternately spelled Shachlecross).
Richard VINCE has a photograph of the Village Sign on the B5010 as you enter Borrowash from the east, taken in July, 2012.
- Rosemary LOCKIE provides a transcription of the Burrowash entry under Spondon from Pigot & Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire (1835). That same page contains an entry for Ockbrook.
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Ockbrook entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- The transcription of the section for Ockbrook from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin HINSON.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ockbrook to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Ockbrook has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The annual parish feast day was historically the Sunday nearest to November 13th.
- Trevor RICKARD has a photograph of The Royal Oak Pub. on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2010.
- Stephen McKAY has a photograph of The Cross Keys Pub. on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2011.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Queens Head Pub. on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2017.
- David LALLY has a photograph of the Nag's Head Pub. in Shacklecross on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2017.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK423357 (Lat/Lon: 52.917062, -1.372361), Ockbrook which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Those checking migrations might also wish to be aware that Ockbrook had a "sister" community at Fulneck, Pudsey (YKS).
- A marble and Caen stone monument to Lieut. Charles HEARSEY was erected in the old boarding school. The Lieutenant fell in the Cheardeh Valley campaign near Cabul (Kabul) in 1879.
- During World War One, there was a VAD Red Cross Hospital here.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Borrowash World War One Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2017.
- There is a photograph of the War Memorial on WW1-Yorkshire (for some reason).
- The Traces of War website tells us that there are 5 Commonwealth War Graves for World War One at Ockbrook.
These are the Connonwealth War Graves in All Saints Churchyard:
The Ockbrook News has been taken over by the Eyrewash Sound Radio station.
Andrew ABBOTT has a photograph of the Ockbrook News on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2010.
Jane TAYLOR in Redcar contributes this snippet from the Derby Mercury of 18 November, 1802, MARRIED: "On Thursday last, at Ockbrook, in this county, Mr. Thomas DOLMAN, to Miss Elizabeth WILD, of Borrowash."
Jane TAYLOR of Redcar provides this extract from the Derby Mercury of 16 June 1803. MARRIED: "On Thursday last, at Ockbrook, in this county, Mr. John HANCOCK, to Mrs. Grace COOK, both of that place."
Jane TAYLOR of Redcar provides this snippet from the Derby Mercury of 19 July 1804. DIED: "On the 13th inst. at Ockbrook, in this county, Miss Sarah Ann DALBY; eldest daughter of the late Matthew Stanfield DALBY, late of Biggin."
- This place was an ancient parish in county Derby and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- This parish was in the ancient Morleston and Litchurch Hundred (or Wapentake).
- You may contact the local Ockbrook and Borrowash parish council regarding civic and political issues, but they are NOT staffed to provide family history searches for you.
- District governance is provided by the Erewash Borough Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Derby petty session hearings.
- As a result of the Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became a member of the Shardlow Poorlaw Union.
A National School (mixed) was erected in Borrowash in 1840 to hold 130 boys and girls and 80 infants.
A National School (mixed) was erected in Ockbrook in 1848 to hold 165 children and 70 infants.
There was a Moravian Boys' Boarding school in Ockbrook. Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Moravian School on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2017.