Wikipedia tells us:
"Old Brampton is a village in the civil parish of Brampton, in the county of Derbyshire, England. It lies 3 miles to the west of Chesterfield, on a spur of higher land between two small valleys."
Old Brampton is served by the Mobile Library on route N, which makes two stops every fourth Wednesday at mid-afternoon. The first is at Chedale Close and the second is at the Cuttholme Road shops.
The Cutthorpe area is also served by the Mobile Library, but on every fourth Wednesday morning at Riggott's Way.
Holymoorside is served by the Mobile Library on route N, which makes two stop in the village at the Pinfold and the Village Hall every fourth Tuesday around midday.
The Library at Chesterfield would also be a good resource.
In the eastern moor in a place called Cor-Lowe is a burying-place of greater antiquity than the Roman occupation of Britain.
Graham HOGG has a photograph of the Thatched lychgate into the churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2013.
Andrew WHALE has a photograph of the church graveyard on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2008. Looks like it could use a little mowing in this shot.
- The parish was in the Chesterfield sub-district of the Chesterfield Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1851||H.O. 107 / 2147|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2532|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2764 thru 2766|
- The church was here prior to 1253.
- St Peter's Church at Old Brampton should not be confused with St. Thomas's Church at what is now known as New Brampton. St. Thomas's was consecrated in 1832, and "stands on the Chatsworth road, about a mile west of the town of Chesterfield."
- Andrew HILL has a photograph of The Church of St Peter and St Paul on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2011.
- A new clock was added to the church tower in April, 1898, to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
- The church was restored in 1868 and again in 1889-1891.
- The church seats 330.
- The ecclesiastical parish maintained a mission church at Wadshelf.
- The parish register dates from 1658.
- We have a pop-up window of Parish Register burials in a text file for your review. Your additions are welcomed.
- There is a wealth of "Parish Chest" type information available for (Old) Brampton at the Derbyshire Record Office, but there are no Settlement Certificates! There are however, plenty of lists of charitable bequests, one of which cites money to be put forth for Apprenticeship Indentures bequeathed to the Church Wardens in ? Shawe's Will. There is also a Burials Waste Book which lists the position of each grave in chronological order with index for years 1792-1887 - a very important resource, as it suggests relationships in terms of who was buried next to whom. There are also Tithe Books giving names of occupiers of land, rent paid and livestock belonging to each farmer for years 1815 & 1818. All are available in original form. My grateful thanks to Janet KIRK for this information.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Chesterfield.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Chesterfield sub-district of the Chesterfield Registration District.
"BRAMPTON is a village and parish, about 3½ miles W. from Chesterfield. At Brampton-moor are extensive stone potteries, belonging to Messrs. T. Oldfield and Co., Messrs. H. and S. Briddon and Mr. J. Wright; Mr. W. Briddon, at Walton, and others; at New Brampton, are iron works, and in the neighbourhood is a coal mine."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
Nether Loads and Upper Loads ar hamlets in this parish. Walton is a township in the parish of Chesterfield, but in the ecclesiastical district of St. Thomas, Brampton. Wigley is a hamlet just west of Old Brampton. Hollins is also a hamlet just west of Old Brampton.
- Rosemary LOCKIE provides a transcription of the Brampton entry from Pigot & Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire (1835).
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Old Brampton entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- From Bagshaw's 1846 Directory of Derbyshire, under Brampton Parish, Scarsdale Hundred:
"Cutthorpe, a small village, pleasantly situated on an eminence commanding fine views, forms the north side of the parish, 1 1/2 miles N. by E. from Brampton. The Hall, now a farm house, is a very ancient building, the property of W.H. De Rodes, Esq."
From: "A Topographical Dictionary of England", by Samuel LEWIS, 7th Edition, 1848, Vol 1, pp.342-3:
"BRAMPTON (St Peter), a parish, in the union of Chesterfield, hundred of Scarsdale, northern division of the county of Derby, 3 miles west-by-north from Chesterfield; containing, with Cutthorpe township, 3,937 inhabitants [in 1848].
This PARISH, which was formerly part of that of Chesterfield, is situated on the road from Chesterfield to Bakewell, and comprises 7,956 acres, of which 1,080 are common or waste, and 250 woodland; the soil is mostly a strong clay, and the higher grounds are peaty.
Coal and limestone are found in abundance, and clay of good quality for pottery-ware is also plentiful. There are very extensive works for brown earthenware, employing several hundreds of persons; a manufactory for tobacco-pipes on a large scale; and an iron-foundry comparatively small. Many of the inhabitants are occupied in a mill for the making of candlewicks, near the boundary of the parish; in a small spinning-mill; and some bobbin-mills. The mines of coal and iron-stone are in active operation; there are quarries of stone for building and the repair of roads, and slate of a very durable nature is wrought.
The LIVING is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Bishop of Lichfield : the great tithes have been commuted for 410 pounds, and those of the incumbent for 90 pounds; there are 13 1/2 acres of glebe belonging to the appropriator, and 12 to the curate.
The CHURCH, which was rebuilt at a remote period, and repaired within the last twenty years, is in the Norman style, but much disfigured by modern alterations; it contains some ancient monuments to the family of CLARKE. A district church dedicated to St Thomas was consecrated in 1832, the expense of its erection, 3,000 pounds, having been borne partly by subscription, and partly by the Parliamentary Commissioners: it stands on the Chatsworth road, about a mile west of the town of Chesterfield, and is in the style of architecture prevailing in the 14th century, presenting a pleasing object in the surrounding landscape. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the bishop; net income, 150 pounds. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists.
In the eastern moor were, until recently, vestiges of a burying-place called Cor-Lowe, considered to be of greater antiquity than the period of the Roman occupation of Britain. In various parts of the high grounds of the parish are found oysters, muscles, and other shell-fish, in a fossil state; and the cactus and other tropical plants are also met with imbedded in the stone.
The living was for some time held by Dr Edmund CARTWRIGHT, inventor of the power-loom and carding-machine."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Old Brampton to another place.
- The ancient parish of Brampton was divided in 1832 into the area centred on the old parish church of St Peter and St Paul, now more commonly known as Old Brampton, and New Brampton, served by St Thomas's church, newly consecrated that year.
You can see the administrative areas in which Old Brampton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The section of Lysons' Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire, 1817, for Chesterfield, transcribed by Barbarann AYARS, includes a portion on Brampton.
- J. THOMAS has a photograph of The Fox and Goose Inn on the west side of Old Brampton on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2016.
- Graham HOGG has a photograph of The Dragon's Fold Restaurant on the east side of Old Brampton on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2011.
- Neil THEASBY has a photograph of The Royal Oak Inn in Hollins on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2012.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK335719 (Lat/Lon: 53.242773, -1.498947), Old Brampton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
The War Memorial Cross in the churchyard was installed at the southern boundary of the yard in 1920. The portion of the monument that makes up the cross is of Darley Dale stone, the rest of the monument is stone from Old Brampton.
Jane TAYLOR in Redcar provides this notice from the Derby Mercury of 17 February 1803: "MARRIED: On Sunday morning the 13th inst. Miss WRIGHT, daughter of Wm. WRIGHT, Esq. of Cutthorpe Hall, in this county."
Jane TAYLOR provides this extract from the Derby Mercury of 28 June 1804: MARRIED: "Yesterday, Mr. Thos. BOWER, brazier, of Chesterfield, to Mrs. Mary PICKARD, of Brampton."
Jon CANTRILL provides this announcement from the Derbyshire Times of May 7th 1921: Acknowledgements LOWE - Mr Joseph LOWE and family of 7 H____(?) Street, Brampton, Chesterfield, thank all kind friends for their sympathy in the sudden death of Mr CHILDS."
Stephen KIMBERLEY reports that the Derbyshire Times of 22nd July 1999 has an obituary for: BROWNE Emma 85 Brampton Chesterfield.
Stephen KIMBERLEY reports that the Derbyshire Times of 19th August 1999 has an obituary for: ALLEN Kenneth 79 Cutthorpe.
Stephen KIMBERLEY reports that the Derbyshire Times of 19th August 1999 has an obituary for: LEE Simon 23 Brampton.
- Brampton was an ancient parish in Derby county and it became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- This parish was in the ancient Scarsdale Hundred (or Wapentake).
- On 1 November, 1910, Old Brampton was amalgamated into the Chesterfield Municipal Borough and Civil Parish.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Chesterfield petty session hearings zt the Memorial Hall every Saturday mroning.
- There is an index of six Brampton Bastardy Papers held at the DRO on the Yesterdays Journey website.
- As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms, this parish became a member of the Chesterfield Poorlaw Union.
In an 1871 Will, John FISHER of Wadshelf par. Brampton, farmer, mentions:
- dau. Sarah wife of Geo. NEWBOLD
- dau. Hannah FISHER spinster
- son Thomas FISHER
- Ann wife of Elias HALL
- Hannah BROCKLEHURST
- Mary Ann CUTTS witness
- John CUTTS witness
Walton Infant School was erected in 1896 for 60 children.
Cutthorpe (mixed) School was erected in 1884 for 300 children.
Holymoorside School (by the River) was erected in 1874 for 200 children.
A National School, later known as Wigley School, was built in 1830 for 96 children.
Chris MORGAN has a photograph of Wigley Primary School on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2013.
Peter BARR has a nice wintry photograph of Wigley Primary School on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2009.