"PLEASLEY, a parish and township in the hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 3 miles N.W. of Mansfield, its post town, and 9 S.E. of Chesterfield. It is situated on the road from Nottingham to Chesterfield, and on the river Meden. The land is chiefly arable, but there are 300 acres of woodland and plantation. The soil is good, upon a substratum of limestone. The parish comprises the villages of Stoney Houghton, and Shirebrook. The village, which appears once to have been of more importance than at present, is a decayed market town, the cross still standing, and has a mechanics' institute and library.
There are two extensive cotton mills at Pleasley Vale, which employ a large number of hands. In the park adjoining the cotton-mills is a large enclosure, with a double vallum and entrenchment, two sides of which are secured by natural precipices, and is evidently a Saxon work. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £493.
The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient stone edifice, with a cracked tower, caused by the shock of an earthquake, which was felt over a great part of the midland counties on 17th March, 1816. In the churchyard is a yew-tree of great antiquity. There is also a district church at Shirebrook, the living of which is a perpetual curacy*, value £90. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum. There is a village school for both sexes; also a Sunday-school. The Methodists meet in theSunday-school. Fairs are held on the 6th May and 29th October."
"STONEY HOUGHTON, a hamlet in the parish of Pleasley, county Derby, 8 miles N.E. of Alfreton."