Hide

Radbourne

hide
Hide

RADBOURNE, a parish in the hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 4½ miles W. of Derby, its post town, and 6 N. of the Wellington railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. In the reign of Edward III. Radbourne came from the Walkelynes and Chandoses to the Poles. The surface is varied with hill and dale. The Hoar Cross hounds meet in the neighbourhood. The soil is a strong marl and clay, affording excellent pasture.

The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £372. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has a low embattled tower containing three bells. The church was restored in 1844. The parochial charities produce about £142 per annum, of which £126 goes towards Pole's school and the apprenticing of poor children. Radbourne House and Old Park House are the principal residences. E. S. C. Pole, Esq., is lord of the manor.”

from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

Peter BARR has a photograph of the St Andrew's Churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2011.

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Repton sub-district of the Burton on Trent Registration District.
     
  • The web-page author has been advised that the entire Repton sub-district may be missing from the Derbyshire Family History Society's 1861 census CD.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2011
1861 R.G. 9 / 1960
1881 R.G. 11 / 2755
1891 R.G. 12 / 2197
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Andrew.
     
  • A porch was added to the church in 1792.
     
  • The church was repaired in 1844.
     
  • Limited restoration was conducted in 1888 and a new organ chamber installed.
     
  • The church only seats about 60.
     
  • The church is a Grade I structure with British Heritage.
     
  • John SALMON has a photograph of a sunlit St. Andrew's Church on Geo-graph, taken in 1991.
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1572 for burials and 1573 for marriages and baptisms.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Longford.
     
  • Mike SPENCER has provided a partial extract of burials found in the parish register. Your additions and corrections are welcomed.
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Repton sub-district of the Burton on Trent Registration District.
topup

Description & Travel

"RADBOURNE, a parish in the hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 4½ miles W. of Derby, its post town, and 6 N. of the Wellington railway station."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]

You can see pictures of Radbourne which are provided by:

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Radbourne has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The old parish of Radbourn was depopulated during the 15th century. The church fell into ruin.
topup

Manors

Radbourne Hall is a red brick mansion on 18 acres. In 1912 it was the residence of Colonel Reginald Wakelyne CHANDOS-POLE, J.P.

Mike BARDILL has a photograph of Radbourne Hall on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2006.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK284362 (Lat/Lon: 52.922469, -1.57903), Radbourne which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • Local hero Thomas WEBSTER joined the Coldstream Guards and fought in the Napoleonic Wars in Spain, where he was captured during the Battle of Talavera in 1809. He was released after five years during an exchange of prisoners. Afterwards served in Holland about 1813.
     
  • In 1912, Radbourne Hall was the residence of Colonel Reginald Walkeline CHANDOS-POLE of Prince Albert's Own Yeomanry (Derbyshire Light Cavalry). The colonel was born in Dalbury Lees, DBY, in February, 1853, and he died in 1930, after a long military career.
     
  • A different kind of War Memorial: A horse chestnut tree was designated as a memorial to and by the Evacuees from Birmingham during WW2. The tree is on private farmland, but can be viewed by the public from the road, just next to the hunting gate south of Cunnery Pond.
topup

Newspapers

Jane TAYLOR in Redcar contributes this snippet from the Derby Mercury of 6 December, 1804 "MARRIED:Yesterday, Mr John ARNOLD, to Miss Ann EYRE, both of Radbourne, near this town."

topup

Nobility

Jon CANTRILL provides this extract from the Derby Mercury of 7th January 1829: MARRIAGES: "On the 1st instant, at Abberley, in the county of Worcester, by the Rev. Henry Reginald Chandos POLE, M.A., the Reve Henry S….. COCKS, rector of leigh, only son of the late Hon. Reginald COCKS, to Frances Mercy, daughter of Henry BROMLEY, of Abberley Lodge, Esq."

topup

Obituaries

Jane TAYLOR in Redcar contributes this snippet from the Derby Mercury of 14 June 1804 "DIED: On Sunday last, in her 16th year, Miss POLE, only child of the Rev. Edward POLE, of Radborne, in this county."

The Derby Daily Telegraph edition of 30 Jun 1886, carried an Obit. for: W. GILDER at Radbourne.

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Derby county and it became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • This parish was in the ancient Appletree Hundred (or Wapentake).
     
  • This Civil Parish was enlarged by 163 acres in April, 1968, which were taken from Micklover Civil Parish when that parish was abolished.
     
  • The citizens of this parish have elected to forgo a formal Parish Council. Instead, they hold periodic Parish Meetings of the citizens to discuss civic and political matters.
     
  • District governance is provided by the South Derbyshire District Council.
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Derby petty session hearings.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act, this parish became a member of the Burton upon Trent Poorlaw Union.
topup

Probate Records

My thanks to Michael SPENCER, UK, for providing this list.

In 1660 John HOUGH left a Will.

In 1663 John HOUGH left a Will.

In an 1861 Will of Frances CLUER of Market Place, Derby, she mentions her second cousin Wm. RADFORD of Radbourne farmer, (son of John).

In 1863 Thomas WOOLEY left a Will.

In an 1866 Administration, Rev. Henry Reginald Chandos POLE mentions Henry Chandos Pole GELL, Shenstone, Elizabeth Mary BYRON, George Anson BYRON.

In 1866 Sarah WOODS of Radbourn widow, farmer and innkeeper, left a Will which mentions:

  1. Edward Sacheverel CHANDOS POLE Esq. of Radbourne
  2. Chas. AULT of Derby maltster
  3. Robert COWLEY of Hemington, Leics, farmer and cattle dealer
  4. grand children Sarah and Elizb. COWLEY daus. of Robert COWLEY
  5. Felisha COWLEY wife of Robert and my late dau, dec.
  6. James LEECH Clerk to Messrs GAMBLE and LEECH witness
  7. Elizabeth BIRCHENHOUGH of Radbourne witness
     

In 1867 James WILSON left a Will.

In an 1870 Administration, Sarah BOTHAM who died 1857 mentions Charles BOTHAM.

In an 1870 Administration, John MORLEY mentions Eliza MORLEY.

In an 1870 Administration, Frances Henry YOLE mentions mentions John Gill YOLE, Bampton, Devon, and Francis YOLE.

In 1871 Samuel TAYLOR of Derby, formerly Radbourne, left a Will made in 1858 which mentions:

  1. Nephew John CHELL Derby
  2. Joseph ORGILL witness
  3. Thos. HARRIS witness
  4. Wm. KNIGHT (surviving Executor of John CHELL dec)
     

In 1872 John WILSON of Radbourne Common left a Will.

In 1875 Martha CONSTABLE of Radbourne, widow, left a Will which mentions:

  1. son Robert CONSTABLE
  2. son in law Edward WEBSTER
  3. son Charles CONSTABLE
  4. Will (should that be widow?) of E S CHANDOS POLE
  5. George COLEBOURNE
  6. William BRYAN
     

In 1875 Edward MUSGROVE left a Will.

In 1877 Charles DRAYCOTT, a Radbourne farmer, left a Will made in 1869 which mentions:

  1. wife Dorothy DRAYCOTT
  2. dau. Hannah wife of Joseph WELSH (actually WELCH) of Horninglow
  3. Thos. SALT Longford Exec.
  4. Wm. DABELL Alvaston witness, Servant to Mr. CURZON
  5. N. C. CURZON Alvaston, Derby witness
     

In 1877 John WATSON left a Will.

In 1878 Herbert HINCKLEY left a Will.

In 1883 Richard LEE left a Will.

In 1883 Joseph SMITH left a Will.

In 1886 Hugh TRAVIS left a Will.

In 1888 Richard LEE, a blacksmith, left a Will.

In 1889 Elizabeth WALKER left a Will.

In 1900 Elizabeth LEE left a Will.

In 1900 Samuel WADE left a Will.

In 1902 John GRANGER left a Will.

In 1902 William Needham SMITH left a Will.

In 1903 Thomas ARCHER left a Will.

In 1907 William GARRATT left a Will.

In 1916 Thomas ANTHONY left a Will.

In 1916 Thomas MORLEY left a Will.

In 1919 Stephen Frederick ROWAN left a Will.

In 1922 Henry HARRISON left a Will.

In 1924 Harriet YATES left a Will.

In 1927 Mary Sneap YATES left a Will.

topup

Schools

A (mixed) school was built here in 1850 to hold 45 students. It was entirely supported by Capt. Reginald Walkelyne CHANDOS-POLE. It was called the Radbourne Public Elementary School.

Peter BARR has a photograph of the former school on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2011.