RADBOURNE, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"RADBOURNE, a parish in the hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 4½ miles W. of Derby, its post town, and 6 N. of the Wellington railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. In the reign of Edward III. Radbourne came from the Walkelynes and Chandoses to the Poles. The surface is varied with hill and dale. The Hoar Cross hounds meet in the neighbourhood. The soil is a strong marl and clay, affording excellent pasture.
The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £372. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has a low embattled tower containing three bells. The church was restored in 1844. The parochial charities produce about £142 per annum, of which £126 goes towards Pole's school and the apprenticing of poor children. Radbourne House and Old Park House are the principal residences. E. S. C. Pole, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]