"GREAT ROWSLEY, a township in the parish of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, county Derby, 3 miles S.E. of Bakewell, its post town, and 5½ from Matlock. It is a station on the Ambergate and Buxton branch of the Midland railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the confluence of the Wye with the river Derwent, and the inhabitants are wholly agricultural. The Derwent is here crossed by an ancient bridge, and the river Wye is also crossed by a stone bridge of modern construction.
The parish includes the hamlet of Allport, and is a resort for anglers. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £50. Divine service is performed in the schoolhouse, licensed for that purpose by the bishop. It was erected in 1841 at the expense of the Duke of Rutland, who is lord of the manor. [Recorded as ROWSLEY MAGNA in Gazetteer -RL 2003]"
"ALPORT, a hamlet in the townships of Rowsley and Youlgreave and the parish of Bakewell, in the county of Derby, 5 miles to the N.W. of Castleton. Alpert Brook runs through the hamlet. It takes its rise in the Peak and joins the Ashop at Gillop Hey, not far from the lofty Alpert rocks, which rise to a height of nearly a thousand feet. The calcareous deposit from streams which run through a limestone district, called Tufa, is obtained here, and is employed in the construction of ornamental rockwork."