“SAWLEY, a parish in the hundred of Morleston, county Derby, 8½ miles S.E. of Derby, its post town, and 5¼ N.W. of Kegworth. It is a station on the Midland railway. The parish, which is situated on the rivers Trent and Derwent, includes the chapelries of Long Eaton and Breaston, and the hamlet of Wilsthorpe. The village, which is neatly built, was formerly a market town, and has the old market-house still standing. Some of the inhabitants are employed in frame-work knitting and cotton-spinning.
The Trent and Mersey navigation and the Erewash canal pass through this parish. The surface is generally level, and the soil a reddish clay, alternated with gravel. The tithes were commuted for land under Enclosure Acts in 1765 and 1787. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Long Eaton annexed, in the diocese of Lichfield, value £266, in the patronage of the bishop.
The church, dedicated to All Saints, has an embattled and spired tower containing three bells. The interior of the church contains 2 brasses of the Bothes, bearing date 1468. There are also the district churches of Breaston with Risley, and Wilne, the livings of which are both perpetual curacies, value £300 each, in the patronage of the bishop. The parochial charities produce about £34 per annum. There is a National school. The Wesleyans and Baptists have each a place of worship. The Earl of Harrington is lord of the manor. A fair, chiefly for horses, is held on 17th November."
"TRENT, a hamlet in the parish of Sawley, hundred of Morleston, county Derby, 7 miles S.E. of Derby. It is a junction station on the Midland railway."
"WILSTHORPE, a hamlet in the parish of Sawley, hundred of Morleston, county Derby, 7 miles S.E. of Derby, near the rivers Trent and Derwent.”
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
Sawley is served by the Mobile Library on route 5, which stops at the Northfield Bungalows on every fourth Wednesday in the late morning.
Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Church of All Saints showing the churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2018.
- The parish was in the Stapleford sub-district of the Shardlow Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No. 1851 H.O. 107 / 2141 1861 R.G. 9 / 2491 & 2492 1881 R.G. 11 / 3391 1891 R.G. 12 / 2725
- A Christian church existed here in 822 AD.
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- A chantry was founded here about 1260 AD.
- The church was restored and enlarged in the 13th century.
- The church tower was added in the 15th century.
- The Jacobean pulpit was carved in 1636.
- The church was restored in 1889.
- The church chancel and the south porch were restored in 1911.
- The church seats 500.
- I am told a church on the site of All Saints Parish Church in Sawley was built in early days (made) of rushes. A later wooden building took its place, presumably in Saxon times, with the present day stone building begun by the Normans. A Norman archway still remains, but the tower and spire are 15th century. The gold weathercock on the top of the spire was placed by the local people in the 1940's, collecting money for it by subscription, one collection method being that it was driven around the local streets and any child could pat it and give it a spin on payment of a penny. The church contains memorials to the BOTHE family, including an effigy of John BOTHE, who was Treasurer of Lichfield Cathedral.
(Information supplied by June SPOONER of Canada).
- St. Andrew's Room is an iron building erected in 1904 was used for meetings.
- John DARCH has a photograph of All Saints' Church on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2006.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1654, but is "defective" from 1691 to 1697.
- Transcription by Carol RYAN of Burials 1813-1830 at Sawley.
- Marriages at Sawley, 1656-1837 are available in Nigel BATTY-SMITH's database of scanned images of Phillimore's Parish Registers.
- Micheal SPENCER has created a partial extract of Sawley Parish Register burials in a file for your review. Your additions and corrections are welcomed.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Ilkeston.
- The Baptists founded their chapel here in 1783.
- Chris J. DIXON has a photograph of the Sawley Baptist Chapel on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2005.
- The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel here prior to 1891.
- Oxymoron has a photograph of The Wesleyan Methodist chapel on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2008.
- The Primitive Methodists had a chapel here prior to 1891.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Stapleford sub-district of the Shardlow Registration District.
"SAWLEY, a parish in the hundred of Morleston, county Derby, 8½ miles S.E. of Derby, its post town, and 5¼ N.W. of Kegworth. It is a station on the Midland railway. The parish, which is situated on the rivers Trent and Derwent, includes the chapelries of Long Eaton and Breaston, and the hamlet of Wilsthorpe. The village, which is neatly built, was formerly a market town, and has the old market-house still standing. Some of the inhabitants are employed in frame-work knitting and cotton-spinning."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]
The parish lies 123 miles north of the City of London and 8.5 miles south-east of Derby City. The River Derwent joins the River Trent in this parish. The parish covers about 1,860 acres.
Wilsthorpe is a hamlet in the parish and township of Sawley, 1.5 miles north of Sawley village.
New Sawley is the area just north of the railway line.
Andy JAMIESON has a photograph of the village sign on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2009.
David LALLY, however, has a photograph of the new, fancier village sign on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2009.
Rodney WETTON captures the sunrise from Sawley Bridge on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2011.
They really are out to "get" you. Andy JAMIESON has a photograph of part of the golf course greenway on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2009.
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Sawley entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- Colin HINSON provides the transcription of the section for Sawley from the National Gazetteer (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Sawley to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Sawley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Jane TAYLOR shares this snippet from the Derby Mercury of 10 Jan 1805: MISC: "In the night of the 1st or in the morning of the 2d instant, an attempt was made to break into the house of Mr. John JOWETT, of Wilsthrop, near Sawley, in this county; the villains had taken out two panes of glass and opened the window, but were alarmed by the servant girl, and decamped without effecting their purpose."
In 1912, the parish had a hand fire engine with 12 men trained to pump and use it. George BOWLER was the fire captsin and the engineer.
Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Tamworth Road railway bridge on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2018. This is a "Skew Arch" bridge, an architectural innovation of mostly British designers from the early 1800s.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK472316 (Lat/Lon: 52.879802, -1.300087), Sawley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial and surrounding benches were built near the centre of the village in 2006 to commemorate the fallen of two World Wars and other conflicts since.
- David LALLY has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2009.
- There was a report on the Internet in April, 2012, that the memorial was in poor condition and that the names were practically unreadable. I have not seen an update since.
There are six Commonwealth War Graves in All Saints churchyard from World War I and one from World War II:
- W. T. BERRESFORD, priv., 2nd/7th Btn. Sherwood Foresters, age 21, died 5 Nov. 1917. Son of Mr. and Mrs. C. BERESFORD (Surname spelled with two Rs in CWGC database).
- Charles William BROOKS, rifleman, 13th Btn. Rifle Brigade, age 21, died 13 Jan 1919. Son of Charles and Charlotte BROOKS.
- G. CAPPELL, pfc, Royal Air Force, died 4 July 1918.
- J. MARSDEN, priv., 3rd Btn. Loyal North Lancs Regt., died 14 Mar. 1919.
- William PARKER, priv., Royal Army Service Corps, age 23, died 7 Dec. 1918. Son of George and Margaret PARKER.
- A. S. POYSER, priv., 12th Btn. Sherwood Foresters, died 2 Dec. 1918. Probably the son of Alfred and Lucy POYSER of Sawley.
- Robert Henry STORRY, airman 2nd class, RAF Vol. Rsrv., died 7 Apr. 1941. Son of Edward and Ethel Amelia STORRY, of Long Eaton.
Steve MORSE provides this list of men from Sawley who served. It is not known if they are on the War Memorial mentioned above:
- Henry ADAMS was just 18 when the village of Sawley waved him off to war.
- J T L BURROWS killed 1916 and buried at Pozieres, Somme
- Benjamin GUNDRY 1915 - Helles memorial Gallipoli
- John William LEIVARS 1916 - Thiepval Memorial Somme
- Maj John Arthur MEADS MC 1917 - he was attached to the 10th Bn and I visited his grave last year.
- James RUDD 1915 - Helles Memorial.
Jane TAYLOR of Redcar offers this notice from the Derby Mercury of 15 July, 1802: "MARRIED: On Sunday last, at Melbourne, in this county, Mr. PARES of Kegworth, to Mrs. LOMAS, daughter of Mr. ORME, late of the former place."
Jane TAYLOR in Redcar shares this announcement from the Derby Mercury of 26 April, 1804: "MARRIED: On Wednesday se'nnight, at Breaston, in this county, Mr. PARKINSON, grazier,.of Sawley, to Miss BONSALL, of the former place."
Jane TAYLOR in Redcar provides this notice from the Derby Mercury of 22 August 1804: "MARRIED: On the 8th inst. at Buxton, in this county, Mr Robert SHAW, of Sawley, to Miss RICHARDSON, of Park-street, Nottingham."
Ruth GENDA contributes this snippet from the Derby Mercury of 20 August 1828: "MARRIED:At Sawley, in this county, on Monday se'nnight, by the Rev J. SENHOUSE, Mr. Joseph KIRK to Miss Mary ELLIOTT, both of Sawley."
Jane TAYLOR in Redcar offers this notice from the Derby Mercury of 29 April, 1802 "DIED: Lately, at Sawley, in this county, the wife of Mr. John FLETCHER, schoolmaster, in the 21st year of her age."
Jane TAYLOR in Redcar provides this extract from the Derby Mercury of 10 November, 1803 "DIED: On Monday se'nnight, Miss Ann WIGLEY, daughter of the late Rev. Benj. WIGLEY, of Sawley, in this county."
Jane TAYLOR in Redcar contributes this snippet from the Derby Mercury of 12 April, 1804 "DIED: On the 7th, Samuel DALLEY, a farmer's servant at Sawley, in this county, fell from a cart upon the grains of a fork, and died in consequence a short time later."
Jane TAYLOR in Redcar has this notice from the Derby Mercury of May 28, 1856 "DIED: At Sawley, on Saturday, the 17th instant, after an illness of three days, Mrs. Mary BLOOD, widow aged 50."
In the same issue; "DIED: On the 29th instant, at Sawley, Mr. John EATON, innkeeper, aged 60.
- This place was an ancient parish in Derby county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- This parish was in the ancient Morleston and Litchurch Hundred (or Wapentake).
- At last check in 2015 the local parish council had a website address, but it was under construction and had no content.
- District governance is provided by the Erewash Borough Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Derby petty session hearings.
- As a result of the Poorlaw Amendment Act of 1834 reforms, the parish became a member of the Shardlow Poorlaw Union.
A Public Elementary School (mixed) was erected in 1859 and enlarged in 1897 to hold 260 children.
A Public Elementary (day, mixed) school was erected in 1860 for 140 children.
New Sawley Public Elementary School (infants) was built in 1906 for 156 students.
David LALLY has a photograph of the Entrance gates to Sawley Junior and Infants Schools on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2016.