"SAWLEY, a parish in the hundred of Morleston, county Derby, 8½ miles S.E. of Derby, its post town, and 5¼ N.W. of Kegworth. It is a station on the Midland railway. The parish, which is situated on the rivers Trent and Derwent, includes the chapelries of Long Eaton and Breaston, and the hamlet of Wilsthorpe. The village, which is neatly built, was formerly a market town, and has the old market-house still standing. Some of the inhabitants are employed in frame-work knitting and cotton-spinning.
The Trent and Mersey navigation and the Erewash canal pass through this parish. The surface is generally level, and the soil a reddish clay, alternated with gravel. The tithes were commuted for land under Enclosure Acts in 1765 and 1787. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Long Eaton annexed, in the diocese of Lichfield, value £266, in the patronage of the bishop.
The church, dedicated to All Saints, has an embattled and spired tower containing three bells. The interior of the church contains 2 brasses of the Bothes, bearing date 1468. There are also the district churches of Breaston with Risley, and Wilne, the livings of which are both perpetual curacies, value £300 each, in the patronage of the bishop. The parochial charities produce about £34 per annum. There is a National school. The Wesleyans and Baptists have each a place of worship. The Earl of Harrington is lord of the manor. A fair, chiefly for horses, is held on 17th November."
"TRENT, a hamlet in the parish of Sawley, hundred of Morleston, county Derby, 7 miles S.E. of Derby. It is a junction station on the Midland railway."
"WILSTHORPE, a hamlet in the parish of Sawley, hundred of Morleston, county Derby, 7 miles S.E. of Derby, near the rivers Trent and Derwent."