The Spondon Library is on Sitwell Street. It is open 5 days each week, excluding holidays, from 8:30am to 5pm.
- Susan Watson, "Spondon A History", Watnay Publishing, 1989, 62 pages; ISBN 1 8724 18 00 7
- Spondon Cemetery of 1.5 acres opened in 1880.
- The cemetery is under the management of the Burial Board of the Parish Council.
- There is a photograph album of headstones at Flickr.
- The parish was in the Spondon sub-district of the Shardlow Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No. 1851 H.O. 107 / 2141 1861 R.G. 9 / 2494 1891 R.G. 12 / 2726
- The original church here was a wood and wattle structure built around 700 AD. It was eventually replaced by a stone church.
- A church stood here for many years, but was destroyed in the Great Spondon Fire of 1340.
- A district church was built here in 1839 and opened for services in 1840.
- The church was for many years known as St. Mary's but in 1890 it was discovered to have been dedicated to St. Werburgh.
- The church was thoroughly restored in 1892.
- The church seats 700.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of St. Werburgh's Church on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2014.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1580 for baptisms, 1653 for burials and 1714 for marriages.
- The parish register Includes entries for the chapelry of Stanley until late 19th century.
- Michael SPENCER of the UK has performed a partial extract of Parish Register burials for your review. Your corrections and additions are welcomed.
- Marriages at Spondon, 1653-1812 are available in Nigel BATTY-SMITH's database of scanned images of Phillimore's Parish Registers.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Ilkeston.
- The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here in 1877. The Methodist Church is on Lodge Lane.
- Ian CLADERWOOD has a photograph of the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2017.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Spondon sub-district of the Shardlow Registration District.
"SPONDON, in the hundred of Appletree, is a parish which was formerly more extensive than now, the chapelries of Chaddesden, Lockhay, and Stanley having been some years since separated from it, and erected into distinct parishes. The village of Spondon, which is about three miles E.S.E. from Derby. is situate on a commanding eminence, overlooking the beautiful vale of Derwent, and is the residence of several highly respectable families."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The village of Spondon lies 3.5 miles east of Derby and 129 miles north of London, although it has been absorbed into the larger Derby municipal boundaries as of 1968. You may find current information at the Spondon Online site, including photographs.
- Rosemary LOCKIE provides a transcription of the Spondon entry from Pigot & Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire (1835).
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Spondon entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
Samuel LEWIS's 1848 "Topographical Dictionary of England and Wales", 7th edition, Vol 4, p.162, states:
"SPONDON, St Mary, ** [Ed. note: see below], a parish, in the Poor Law union of Shardlow, hundred of Appletree, Southern Division of the county of Derby, 3 1/2 miles east by south from Derby; containing 1,586 inhabitants. The parish was formerly more extensive than at present, the chapelries of Chaddesden and Stanley having been separated from it in 1836, and erected into distinct parishes. It comprises 3,091 acres of land, of which 609 are arable, 2,363 pasture, 92 wood, and 25 water. The beautiful mansion of Locko Hall, surrounded by a well-wooded park of 240 acres, is situated here.
The VILLAGE, seated on a commanding eminence overlooking the Vale of Derwent, is of considerable extent, and the residence of several highly respectable families. The inhabitants are principally employed in agriculture, and in the manufacture of stockings, mits, and silk gloves; a few persons are engaged in brick-making. The Derby Canal passes for more than two miles through the parish, and has a wharf about half a mile from the village; near which, on the south side, is a station of the Midland railway.
The LIVING is a discharged Vicarage, valued in the King's Books at 6 pounds 14 shillings and 7 pence; net income 200 pounds, with a glebe-house; patrons, the Trustees under the Will of the late W.D. LOWE, Esq. The Tithes for the liberty of Spondon were partly commuted for land and a money payment in 1788.
The CHURCH is a large structure in the Decorated English style, and consists of a nave, chancel, and aisles, with a tower and spire 114 feet high; in the chancel are three stone stalls: the edifice was thoroughly repaired in 1826, at a cost of 1,200 pounds. In the churchyard is an antique stone, apparently Saxon. There are also places of worship for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists.
A SCHOOL is endowed with land producing about 15 pounds per annum; and excellent Church of England schools were built in 1839, by subscription and public grants.
Charities: William GILBERT left by Will, in 1649, the sum of 1,000 pounds, with which 51 acres 1 rod and 30 perches of land were purchased at Spondon, now worth 114 pounds per annum; 20 shillings are given to ten poor people every Sunday, and the surplus is applied to charitable purposes at the discretion of the Trustees."
** There has been some confusion over the years about the dedication of the Church at Spondon, but it is now definitely under the dedication of ST. WERBURGH, not St. Mary. St. Werburgh was a Mercian Saint and Royal Princess who died in 699.
- The transcription of the section for Spondon from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin HINSON.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Spondon to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Spondon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- In 1333 a fire broke out at the Malt Shovel Public House. A strong easterly breeze blew the fire through the village consuming many building, including the church. The mayor of Spondon was the only casualty, but the village was all but destroyed.
- A large part of the parish land was given over to pasturage before 1900.
- A number of Inns and Public Houses existed in Spondon.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of The Anglers Arms on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2008.
- The Anglers Arms Public House had the following proprietors listed in Directories:
Year Person 1842 -- not listed -- 1874 Js. COLLEY 1891 William DEDMAN 1895 William DEDMAN 1912 Thos. BENTLEY
- J. THOMAS has a photograph of The Crown Inn on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2013.
- The Malt Shovel Public House had the following proprietors:
Year Person 1835 William HARRISON 1842 Wm. HARRISON 1874 Timothy WINFIELD, v. 1891 Henry BAKER 1895 William FOSS 1899 William FOSS 1912 William HASLAN
- Jonathan CLITHEROE has a photograph of The Moon Public House on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2014.
- The Prince of Wales Public House had the following proprietors:
Year Person 1842 -- not listed -- 1874 Jas. BANCROFT 1895 -- not listed -- 1912 Fredk. AUSTIN
- The Vernon Arms Public House had the following proprietors:
Year Person 1842 -- not listed -- 1895 -- not listed -- 1912 Thomas TOMPSON
- The White Swan Public House had the following proprietors:
Year Person 1835 John BENNETT 1842 Jno. BENNETT 1874 Thos. COXON, v. 1891 Peter COXON 1895 Peter COXON 1899 William DEDMAN 1912 Fredk. Lewis WARD
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK403358 (Lat/Lon: 52.918115, -1.40209), Spondon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Captain Wiliam Drury DRURY-LOWE of the Grenadier Guards resided here in 1912. He had served in the South African War and died during the first World War in the 1916 Battle of the Somme.
- During World War One, there was a VAD Red Cross Hospital here.
- According to the Traces of War website, there are 4 Commonwealth war graves from World War I and 13 from World War II in the churchyard.
- Spondon's War Memorial Plaque is on the wall of the village library.
These are the Commonwealth War Graves in Spondon Cemetery:
Jane TAYLOR of Redcar offers this snippet from the Derby Mercury of 17 February 1803: "MARRIED: Yesterday at Spondon, in this county, Grayham CHAPELL, Esq. of Orston, Nottinghamshire, to Miss Maria WRIGHT, youngest daughter of the late Joseph WRIGHT, Esq. of this place."
Jane TAYLOR offers this clipping from the Derby Mercury of 2 December, 1802: DIED: "On Saturday last, at Spondon, near this place, at the advanced age of 95, Mr. Wm. BARLOW, of that village, formerly well known in this town and neighbourhood, as proprietor of the Derby and Nottingham Stage Waggon."
Jane TAYLOR in Redcar provides this announcement from the Derby Mercury of 5 May, 1803: DIED: "On Saturday last, at Spondon, in this county, of the water in the head, Miss Louisa DALBY, second daughter of Mr. M. S. DALBY, of that place."
Jane TAYLOR has this clipping from the Derby Mercury of 5 January, 1804: DIED: "On Thursday last, aged 47, Mrs BRADSHAW, wife of Mr. Vinceslimus BRADSHAW, of Spondon, in this county."
Jane TAYLOR offers this extract from the Derby Mercury of 27 Dec 1804: DIED: "On Thursday last, aged 73, Mrs BRETNALL, widow, and relict of Thomas BRETNALL, late of Spondon, Esq."
Jane TAYLOR offers this tidbit from the Derby Mercury of 14 Feb 1805: DIED: "On Monday last at Spondon, in this county, after a short but severe illness, in his 29th year, most deservedly lamented, Wm. FEARNLEY, gent. Ensign in the Company of Volunteers at that place."
- This place was an ancient parish in Derby county and became a modern Civil Parish when these were estabished.
- This parish was in the ancient Appletree Hundred (or Wapentake).
- In April, 1968, this Civil Parish was abolished and the land split between Dale Abbey and Ockbrook Civil Parishes.
- Spondon is now a part of the City of Derby.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Derby petty session hearings every Friday.
- As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms, the parish became part of the Shardlow Poorlaw Union.
- The parish had four almshouses on Sawpit lane erected in 1873.