"Stanley, township and vil., Spondon par., in co. and 4½ miles NE. of Derby, 1,059 ac., pop. 846; P.O.; has coal-fields, ironworks, and mfrs. of bricks."

From: (John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles; (1887)


Archives & Libraries

Stanley village is served by the Mobile Library on route 5, which stops at New Street every fourth Thursday afternoon.

The Ilkeston Library is an excellent resource with a Local History section and a Family History section.



Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of St. Andrew's Churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2017.



  • The parish was in the Spondon sub-district of the Shardlow Registration District.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841H.O. 107 / 182
1851H.O. 107 / 2141
1861R.G. 9 / 2494
1881R.G. 11 / 3393
1891R.G. 12 / 2726
1911R.G. 14 / 441

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church was dedicated to Saint Andrew.
  • The church was originally built around 1200.
  • The church was restored and partially rebuilt in 1874-75 when the chancel was enlarged.
  • The churchyard gates date from 1887.
  • The church seats 200.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of St. Andrew's Church on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2017.
  • There was an iron mission chapel on the common.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1675 for baptisms and burials, and of marriages from 1754.
  • Alan BLOOR has a One Place Study website on Stanley Village online with parish registers, censuses, memorial inscriptions and more.
  • Marriages at Stanley, 1754-1837 are available in Nigel BATTY-SMITH's database of scanned images of Phillimore's Parish Registers.
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Ilkeston.
  • Peter BARR has a photograph of the former Wesleyan chapel on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2012.

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
  • The parish was in the Spondon sub-district of the Shardlow Registration District.

Description & Travel

"STANLEY, a chapelry in the parish of Spondon, hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 6 miles N.E. of Derby, its post town, and 4 W. of Ilkeston railway station. The village is small, and chiefly agricultural. Rope making is carried on. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Spondon, in the diocese of Lichfield. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. The charities produce about £1 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]

Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Village shop and post office and the Farmer's Cafe on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2017.

The Stanley railway station opened in 1876, but was renamed as the West Holland Station. The station closed in 1964.

At last report (2008), there was half-hourly bus service into Derby City from the village store.

You can see pictures of Stanley which are provided by:





Check the entry for Stanley, Derbyshire in John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales", 1870-72.



Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2017.

Malcolm NEAL has a photograph of The White Hart Pub. on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2018.

1891Mrs. Elizabeth TAFT
1912Mrs. Annie KAY

Jerry EVANS has a photograph of the former Bridge Inn on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2008.



You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK419404 (Lat/Lon: 52.959341, -1.377704), Stanley which are provided by:


Military History

  • In 1912, Captain William Drury DRURY-LOWE of the 2nd Derbyshire Battery, Royal Field Artillery, resided here. He served in South Africa with the Grenadier Guards from 1901-1902 and died in 1916 during World War I.
  • The War Memorial, a polished white granite obelisk, was unveiled around 1920.
  • Garth NEWTON has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2001. The War Memorial is not far from the church.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2017. I believe that you can see the church of St. Andrew in the background.
  • An experimental high-altitude RAF Wellington Bomber disintegrated above Stanley in 1942.

Military Records

The names and service units from the War Memorial can be seen at: Stanley Memorial Inscriptions as provided by DARG (Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group).

There is a memorial for the 1942 Lancaster crew shown at Derbyshire War Memorials.

There are three Commonwealth War Graves in St. Andrew's churchyard (data from the CWGC site in August, 2017). They are for:

NameRankUnitDiedOther info.
Thomas DAVISprivate4th Btln., Sherwwod Foresters23 Oct. 1918Age 24, son of Matthew and Leacher DAVIS of Stanley.
Trevese Arthur HEMSTOCKprivateRoyal Army Ordnance Corps26 Dec. 1941Age 31, son of John Thomas and Hannah Mary HEMSTOCK
Geoffrey TURTONaircraftman 2nd classRoyal Air Force Vol. Rsrv.31 Oct. 1942Age 29, son of Harry and Fanny TURTON

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient Chapelry in Spondon parish in Derby county and it was incorporated as a separate, modern Civil parish in December, 1866.
  • This parish was in the ancient Appletree Hundred (or Wapentake).
  • This parish is officially "Stanley and Stanley Common Parish".
  • You may contact the local Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to help you with family history searches.
  • The Borough Council is the Erewash Borough Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Smalley (Ilkeston Court) petty session hearings every Thursday.
  • As a result of the Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became a member of the Shardlow Poorlaw Union.


St. Andrew's School (mixed) was erected in 1882, to hold 120 children; average attendance in 1890 was 75. This school was enlarged in 1898 and again in 1910.

St. Andrew's Mission Room, on the Common, was also used as a mixed day school; average attendance in 1890 was 78.