Hide

Stanton by Dale

hide
Hide

STANTON-BY-DALE, a parish in the hundred of Morleston, county Derby, 9 miles N.E. of Derby, its post town, and 2 N. of Ilkeston. It is a station on the Erewash Valley railway. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated near the Erewash and Nutbrook canals. Coal is found here. The Donnington hounds meet in this parish. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the iron works.

The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £326, in the patronage of trustees. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, has a tower and four bells. It contains an altar-piece and several monuments. The parochial charities produce about £106 per annum, part of which is the endowment to Middlemore's 6 almshouses. In the vicinity is a stone cross bearing date 1632. The Earl of Stanhope is lord of the manor."

"WESTON-UNDERWOOD, a township in the parish of Stanton-by-Dale, hundred of Morleston, county Derby, 6 miles N.W. of Derby.”

from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

Hide
topup

Archives & Libraries

Stanton by Dale village is served by the Mobile Library on route 5, which stops at the Middlemore cottages every fourth Friday at 1pm.

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Stapleford sub-district of the Shardlow Registration District.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2141
1861 R.G. 9 / 2491
1891 R.G. 12 / 2725
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Michael (possibly St. Michael and All Angels).
     
  • The church was rebuilt or considerably altered in 1350, but the tower is a 15th century addition.
     
  • The church was thoroughly restored in 1872.
     
  • The church seats about 200.
     
  • David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of St. Michael's Church on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2013.
     
  • The MILESTONE SOCIETY has a photograph of Stanton village cross on Geo-graph, taken in 2016. This was likely an old "preaching cross". The cross was raised in 1632.  It is a Grade II structure rated by British Heritage.
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1604 and is in good condition.
     
  • Marriages at Stanton by Dale, 1605-1812 are available in Nigel Batty-Smith's database of scanned images of Phillimore's Parish Registers.
     
  • Michael SPENCER has provided a partial extract of burials found in the parish register. Your additions and corrections are welcomed.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Ilkeston.
     
  • J. THOMAS has a photograph of the Former Wesleyan Chapel on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2019. This chapel was built in 1860.
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Stapleford sub-district of the Shardlow Registration District.
topup

Description & Travel

"STANTON-BY-DALE, a parish in the hundred of Morleston, county Derby, 9 miles N.E. of Derby, its post town, and 2 N. of Ilkeston. It is a station on the Erewash Valley railway. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated near the Erewash and Nutbrook canals. Coal is found here. The Donnington hounds meet in this parish. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the iron works."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]

This parish is 133 miles north of the city of London. The Erewash and Nutbrook Canal runs through the parish. The parish covers just over 1,491 acres.

Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2013. While the Hall is open, stop in and ask to see the schedule of forth-coming events. These Halls often have speakers dealing with family and local history events.

You can see pictures of Stanton by Dale which are provided by:

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Genealogy

In 1606 Edward HOLT of this parish died at the great age of 100.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Stanton by Dale has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The village is mentioned in the 1086 Domesday Book.
     
  • The village feast was held on the Sunday before Michaelmas Day (29 September).
     
  • David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of the Village Pump, installed in June, 1897, on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2013.
     
  • J. THOMAS has a photograph of The Chequers Inn on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2019.
topup

Manors

Stanton Hall, on the south side of the village, was the residence of Benjamin SMITH in 1846. It is now a "nursing home".

David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of Stanton Hall on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2013.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK464385 (Lat/Lon: 52.941893, -1.310991), Stanton by Dale which are provided by:

topup

Military History

The War Memorial is a granite obelisk on top of a plinth. It stands near the parish church and was unveiled in 1921.

Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2017.

You can also see the War Memorial to the right of the church in this photograph of the Church of St Michael and All Angels, taken by David HALLAM-JONES in February, 2013.

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Derby county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • In 1884 a detached part of this parish was transferred to Dale Abbey Civil Parish.
     
  • This parish was in the ancient Morleston and Litchurch Hundred (or Wapentake).
     
  • You may contact the Stanton by Dale Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to assist with family history searches.
     
  • District governance is provided by the Erewash Borough Council.
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Smalley (Ilkeston Court) petty session hearings.
     
  • The parish had Almshouses built in 1711 by Mrs. Winifred MIDDLEMORE for four persons.
     
  • Garth NEWTON has a photogrpah of the Middlemore Almshouses on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2001.
     
  • Two other almshouses were built in 1735 by Mr. Gregory GREGORY.
     
  • As a result of the Poorlaw Amendment Act of 1834 reforms, the parish became a member of the Shardlow Poorlaw Union.
topup

Probate Records

In an 1858 Will (made in 1853), John CHADWICK of Stanton by Dale, farmer. mentions:

  1. wife Ann CHADWICK
  2. Samuel PALING of Ilkeston
  3. Thos. CHADWICK
  4. my three children Wm. ROPER,Hannah CHADWICK, Mary CHADWICK
  5. Chas. YOUNG
  6. L. R. SAXTON of Crich
topup

Schools

A Public Elementary School (mixed) was built here in 1853 to accommodate 135 children. Average attendance in 1911 was 110.