Stanton and Newhall
“STANTON AND NEWHALL, a township in the parish of Stapenhill, hundred of Repton, county Derby, 3 miles S.E. of Burton-upon Trent, its post town, and 6 N.W. of Ashby-de-la-Zouch. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the collieries; there are also earthenware and brick works. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £100, in the patronage of trustees. The church, dedicated to St. John, has a square tower. There is a National school for both sexes, also an infant school. The Wesleyans have a chapel.”
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
- The parish was in the Gesley sub-district of the Burton on Trent Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1861||R.G. 9 / 1963|
- Newhall is a separate ecclesiastical parish in the parish of Stapenhill, formed in 1835.
- The Anglican parish church in Newhall is dedicated to Saint John.
- Saint John's Church was built in 1842 just off High Street.
- The church was in restored in 1884 and the chancel added.
- The church seats 500.
- Alex McGREGOR has a photograph of the west end of St. John's Church on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2014.
- The Anglican parish register of St. John's church dates from 1842 (one source gives 1833).
- The church was in the rural deanery of Repton.
- You might look for your relatives in the Parish register on Brett PAYNE's Freepages site.
- The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel built here in 1816.
- The Wesleyan Reformers had a chapel built here in 1855.
- The Roman Catholic Church was built here in Overstreet road in 1886 and dedicated to Saint Edward the Confessor.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Gresley sub-district of the Burton upon Trent Registration District.
"STANTON and NEWHALL is a joint township, in the parish of Stapenhill, between 2 and 3 miles from Burton-upon-Trent. In that part of the township called Newhall, has been erected a handsome church and parsonage house, at the sole expense of the Rev. Joseph Clay, of Stapenhill; this munificent act, which has been effected at the cost of £7,000. has been the means of producing a reformation in the habits and morals of many of the inhabitants, which must be eminently gratifying to the benevolent pastor. The joint township contained at the last census, 1,182 inhabitants, but it is estimated the number since that period has much augmented, from the increasing importance of the potteries and collieries in this part of the parish."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
Swadlincote is the closest town and there is regular bus service from Burton upon Trent and Ashby-de-la-Zouch. Repton parish lies to the north. Newhall township today is a suburb of Swandlincote.
- Rosemary LOCKIE provides a transcription of the Stanton and Newhall entry under Church Gresley from Pigot & Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire (1835).
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Stanton and Newhall entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- The transcription of the section for Stanton and Newhall from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin HINSON.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stanton and Newhall to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Stanton and Newhall has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Paul GULLIVER has a photograph of the Newhall Memorial building on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2006.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK268205 (Lat/Lon: 52.78142, -1.604113), Stanton and Newhall which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This place was two ancient townships in Stapenhill parish in Derbyshire. They became a modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
- This parish was in the ancient Repton and Gresley Hundred (or Wapentake).
- In April, 1934, this parish gained 14 acres from Bretby Civil Parish and 51 acres from Hartshorne Civil Parish.
- District governance is provided by the South Derbyshire District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Swadlincote petty session hearings every other Tuesday.
- As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act, this parish became a member of the Burton upon Trent Poorlaw Union.
Stanton's Public Elementary (mixed) School was erected in 1876 and enlarged in 1895 for 126 children.
Newhall's Public Elementary (mixed and infants) School was erected in 1895 for 660 mixed and 307 infants.
Mark WALTON has a photograph of the Newhall Infant & Nursery Schoolg on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2007.
The Catholic (mixed) School on Oversetts was built to handle 200 children.