STONY MIDDLETON, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"STONY MIDDLETON, a chapelry in the parish of Hathersage, hundred of High Peak, county Derby, 5 miles N.E. of Bakewell. The village, which is small, and chiefly inhabited by lime-burners and miners, is situated on a branch of the river Derwent in Middleton Dale. Lord Denman has a seat here surrounded by plantations which break the monotony of the otherwise dreary pass of 2 miles long.
The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £90, in the patronage of the Vicar of Hathersage. The church, dedicated to St. Martin, is an octagonal edifice rebuilt in 1759. There is a place of worship for Unitarians. The charities produce £23 per annum, of which £3 belongs to Turie's school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]