STRETTON-EN-LE-FIELD, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"STRETTON-EN-LE-FIELD, a parish in the hundred of Repton, county Derby, 5 miles S.W. of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, its post town, and 9 N.E. of Tamworth. The village is on the road from Atherstone to Burton-upon-Trent, the river Mease, and the Upper Saltway. The parish includes the hamlet of Oakthorpe.
The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £450. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, contains several ancient monuments. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. There is a school supported by Lady Cave, also one at No Man's Heath under the direction of the rector. Sir Browne Cave, Bart., who resides at Stretton Hall, is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]