Hide

Sutton cum Duckmanton

hide
Hide

SUTTON-CUM-DUCKMANTON, a parish in the hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 4½ miles S.E. of Chesterfield, its post town, and 160 from London. In the vicinity are the Duckmanton colliery and iron works. The living is a rectory* with the vicarage of Duckmanton annexed, in the diocese of Lichfield, value £309. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has several stained windows.

The parochial charities produce about £23 per annum, of which £18 go to a school, which is free for the instruction of 20 poor boys. The principal residence is Sutton Hall, formerly the seat of the Harstones and Greys. It was fortified by Leake, Earl Scarsdale, for Charles I., but was taken in 1643. R. Arkwright, Esq., is lord of the manor."

"DUCKMANTON, a hamlet in the parish of Sutton cum Duckmanton, hundred of Scarsdale, in the county of Derby, 3 miles E. of Chesterfield. The Adelphi Iron and Coal Works are situated in this hamlet, which was formerly a separate parish, but now united with Sutton. The living is a vicarage annexed to the rectory of Sutton, in the diocese of Lichfield. There is no church.”

from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

Hide
topup

Archives & Libraries

Duckmanton is served by the Mobile Library on route N, which makes two stops every fourth Friday in the late morning.

topup

Bibliography

Here are a series of wonderful books written by local author Pamela Kettle:-
  • KETTLE, Pamela - Oldcotes. Merton Priory Press, 2000.
    The story of a stately home which vanished, Bess of Hardwick's last building.
     
  • A history of the Hardwick Inn. Published by P KETTLE, 1991; 96 pages, paperback.
    ISBN 095181320X
     
  • The history of the Sutton-cum-Duckmanton endowed school, 1693-1936.
    Published by Pamela KETTLE, Chesterfield, 1996; 76 pages, paperback.
    ISBN 029518132X
     
  • Sutton Scardale's story - Pt. 1: The Leekes of Sutton.
    Published by Ilkeston : Moorley's Bible & Bookshop, 116 pages, paperback.
    ISBN 086071313X
     
  • Parsons of Sutton-cum-Duckmanton : seven centuries of church life.
    Published by Pamela KETTLE, Chesterfield, 1995; 116 pages, paperback.
    ISBN 0951813218
     
topup

Cemeteries

"Oxymoron" has a photograph of the Old Cemetery (churchyard) on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2008.

The "New" Cemetery is an extension of the churchyard. "Oxymoron" has a photograph of this New Cemetery also on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2008.

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Bolsover sub-district of the Chesterfield Registration District.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2533
1891 R.G. 12 / 2767
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary.
     
  • The church was built in the early 14th century, reportedly on the site of an older church.
     
  • The church seats 250.
     
  • The church is a Grade II listed structure with British Heritage.
     
  • Tony BACON has a photograph of St. Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2008.
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish registers date from 1662.
     
  • The parish registers of Sutton cum Duckmanton, 1662-1837, edited by Pamela KETTLE and Philip RIDEN, 1992, are available for purchase as one of Derbyshire Record Society Publications
    ISBN 0946324158.
     
  • The book above exists in a digital form.
     
  • Mike SPENCER has provided a partial extract of burials found in the parish register. Your additions and corrections are welcomed.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Chesterfield.
     
  • Graham HOGG has a photograph of the Methodist Church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2014.
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Bolsover sub-district of the Chesterfield Registration District.
topup

Description & Travel

"SUTTON-CUM-DUCKMANTON, a parish in the hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 4½ miles S.E. of Chesterfield, its post town, and 160 from London. In the vicinity are the Duckmanton colliery and iron works. The living is a rectory with the vicarage of Duckmanton annexed, in the diocese of Lichfield, value £309. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has several stained windows."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]

Sutton-cum-Duckmanton contains the villages of Arkwright Town, Duckmanton, Long Duckmanton, and Sutton Scarsdale and the hamlet of Sutton Spring Wood.

J. THOMAS has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2015.

You can see pictures of Sutton cum Duckmanton which are provided by:

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Sutton cum Duckmanton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Graham HOGG has a photograph of the Duckmanton pub and hotel on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2018.

Maureen BYARD reports that one of her ancestors was a murderer:

"It happened at Duckmanton / Calow near Chesterfield in 1902. John BEDFORD murdered Annie PRICE, and was hanged for the crime."
topup

Manors

Sutton Scarsdale Hall, built in 1724 and roofless since 1919, is awaiting repair and is the property of English Heritage. John H. DARCH has a photograph of Sutton Scarsdale Hall on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2018.

Andrew HILL has a photograph of the back of the Hall on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2011.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK442689 (Lat/Lon: 53.215327, -1.339559), Sutton cum Duckmanton which are provided by:

topup

Military History

John WOODHEAD of Duckmanton was buried March 26 1798. He was one of the Chesterfield Troop of the Derbyshire Volunteer Cavalry - and the first Funeral in that Troop - the Troop attended the Funeral and he was interred with the customary Military Honours.

topup

Newspapers

Jane TAYLOR in Redcar contributes this snippet from the Derby Mercury of 14 June 1804 "MARRIED: A few days since, at Sutton in Scarsdale, in this county, Mr. Wm. PEARCE, to Miss Margaret WOODHEAD, both of Duckmanton; eldest daughter of Mr. Joseph WOODHEAD, of that place."

topup

Obituaries

Jane TAYLOR in Redcar shares this notice from the Derby Mercury of 31 December, 1801: "DIED: Lately, at Exeter, Mrs. CLARKE, wife of J. H. P. CLARKE, Esq. of Sutton Hall, near Chesterfield, in this county. Mrs C. was a sincere Christian, a friend to the poor, and died universally regretted."

Stephen KIMBERLEY reports that the Derbyshire Times of 22nd July 1999 has an obituary for: COOPER Catherine 42 Duckmanton Scotland.

Stephen KIMBERLEY reports that the Derbyshire Times of 19th August 1999 has an obituary for: EVANS George William 81 Duckmanton.

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Derby county and it became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • This parish was in the ancient Scarsdale Hundred (or Wapentake).
     
  • You may contact the Sutton - cum - Duckmanton Parish Council regarding civic or political matters. They will NOT assist you with family history research.
     
  • District governance is provided by the North East Derbyshire District Council. They can NOT assist you with family history research.
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became part of the Chesterfield Poor Law Union.
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Chesterfield petty session hearings.
topup

Probate Records

Mentioned in a Will of 1869 by George FRITH Duckmanton, farmer:

  1. brother Henry
  2. brother Thomas
  3. John CUTTS witness
  4. Saml. STANTON witness
     

Mentioned in a Will of 1889 by Michael Maughan HUMBLE Duckmanton, rector:

  1. William John Humble CROFTS
  2. Mansfeldt Heron HUMBLE
  3. Annie Isabella HUMBLE
  4. Maughan HUMBLE
  5. Bernard HUMBLE
  6. Fanny Emma HUMBLE
  7. Edith HUMBLE
topup

Schools

An Endowed School (mixed) was built at Duckmanton, replacing the old school, some time before 1891. It was designed to hold 120 children.