SWADLINCOTE, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"SWADLINCOTE, a township and chapelry in the parish of Church-Gresley, hundred of Repton, county Derby, 4½ riles S.E. of Burton-upon-Trent, with which it is connected by a short branch of the Midland railway. The substratum abounds with coal, which is wrought to a considerable extent, and with various kinds of clay for pottery and earthenware, of which extensive works are in operation, affording employment to a considerable number of hands.
The Leicester and Swannington extension line of railway passes through the township, and several tramways have been laid from the coalmines and potteries to the Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal for the conveyance of produce. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £105. The church is of recent erection. The Wesleyans have a chapel."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]