TIBSHELF, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"TIBSHELF, a parish in the hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 4½ miles N.E. of Alfreton, and 3 E. of Stretton railway station. The village is situated on the road from Mansfield to Matlock. Many of the inhabitants are employed in frame-work knitting, and in the collieries. Nearly the whole of the parish is the property of St. Thomas's Hospital, by a grant of Edward VI.
The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £172. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The body was rebuilt in 1727, but the tower and chancel are much more ancient. There is a parochial school for both sexes. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The trustees of St. Thomas's Hospital, London, are lords of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]