“TOTLEY, a township in the parish of Dronfield, hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 3 miles N.W. of Dronfield, and 3 S.W. of Sheffield. It is situated near the river Sheaf, on the road from Bakewell to Sheffield. There are several stone quarries and brick-kilns, and a thin seam of coal is wrought.”
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
- The parish was in the Dore sub-district of the Ecclesal Berlow Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1871||R.G. 10 / 4666|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 3800|
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- The church was built in 1924 on Totley Hill Lane to honour the son of William A. MILNER. Milner's son died in World War I.
- The church has its own website maintained by Chris BOOTH. Alas, the website contains very little historical information.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1924 and is still at the church (and not archived).
- The church was in the rural deanery of Dronfield.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Dore sub-district of the Ecclesall Berlow Registration District.
"TOTLEY is another hamlet, in the parish of Dronfield, about three miles north-west from that town, containing 351 inhabitants."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
This township and parish is 6 miles south-west of Sheffield and covers 1,811 acres, including the hamlet of The Bents just north-west of the village. The landscape in the old directories is described as "moory".
- Rosemary LOCKIE provides a transcription of the Totley entry under Dronfield from Pigot & Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire (1835).
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Totley entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- The transcription of the section for Totley from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin HINSON.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Totley to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Totley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- In the 1800s, Totley was primarily an agricultural parish, but bricks, scythes and saw handles were also made here.
- In 1979, the Totley SPITFIRE Pub. was built, Graham HOGG has a photograph of the Public House on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2012.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK307798 (Lat/Lon: 53.31425, -1.540666), Totley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Peter BARR has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2010.
- There is also a Roll of Honour at the Cherry Tree Orphanage for World War One, listing 15 names, 3 of whom did NOT return.
- On the north wall of the church nave in Christ Church, Dore, is a memorial to 2nd Lieut. Donald.K HALL, age 20, Royal Artillery, died 9 Oct 1917, Paschendaele.
- In the 1086 Domesday Book, this place is listed as Totinglei.
- The spelling of the name has changed over time. In 1629 it was "Totles".
- This place was an ancient township in Dronfield parish in Derbyshire and became a modern Civil Parish in Decmber, 1866.
- This place was a part of the Hundred of Scarsdale.
- In 1934, this parish was abolished and 751 acres were amalgamated into the Holmsfield Civil Parish, The remaining 1,100 acres became part of the Hallam Ward of the city of Sheffield and became part of the West Riding of Yorkshire. Derbyshire misses all of you!
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Eckington petty session hearings.
- As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms, the parish was in the Ecclesall Bierlow Poorlaw Union.
- Wills of Dore and Totley 1539 - 1747 is a book of 58 pages edited by David HEY, and published by the Dore Village Society in 1990. The Wills (including inventories) were transcribed by the Local History class, and the book contains 10 full transcriptions plus a list of all the other wills and inventories which were transcribed.