WHITTINGTON, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"WHITTINGTON, a parish and township in the hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 2 miles N. of Chesterfield. It is a station on the Midland railway. The village is situated near the Chesterfield canal and river Rother. Some of the inhabitants are employed in the collieries and potteries. Brick making and scythe making are carried on.
The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £210, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is being rebuilt. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels, and there is a school partially endowed. On Whittington Moor, in this parish, is the "Cock and Pynot Inn", where the Duke of Devonshire and others met in 1688 to support the revolution."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]