YOULGREAVE, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"YOULGREAVE, a parish partly in the hundred of Wirksworth, and partly in that of High Peak, county Derby, 3½ miles S.W. of Bakewell, and 3 from Rowsley railway station. The parish, which comprises above 12,000 acres, is watered by a branch of the river Wye, and includes the chapelries of Stanton, Elton, and Winster, the last also a market town, with the townships of Birchover, Gratton, and Middleton, and the hamlets of Smerril, Conksbury, Hartlemoor, Alport, and Greenfield.
Some of the inhabitants are employed in the cotton mills, and others in the stone quarries and lead mines, which latter, though formerly more productive than at present, are still in active operation. The population in 1861 was 3,738. In the township of Middleton is a Druidical circle, known as Arborlowes Ring, surrounded by numerous barrows. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £200.
The parish church, dedicated to All Saints, contains a font supposed to be of the 11th century, and several old monuments. There are chapels-of-ease at Elton, Stanton, and Winster, and chapels for Wesleyans and other Protestant Dissenters in various parts of the parish. There is a free school endowed with £25 per annum, and National and denominational schools. The Duke of Rutland is lord of the manor of Youlgrave, and W. Pole Thornhill, Esq., of that of Elton."
"ALPORT, a hamlet in the townships of Rowsley and Youlgreave and the parish of Bakewell, in the county of Derby, 5 miles to the N.W. of Castleton. Alpert Brook runs through the hamlet. It takes its rise in the Peak and joins the Ashop at Gillop Hey, not far from the lofty Alpert rocks, which rise to a height of nearly a thousand feet. The calcareous deposit from streams which run through a limestone district, called Tufa, is obtained here, and is employed in the construction of ornamental rockwork."
"GRATTON, a hamlet in the parish of Youlgreave, hundred of High Peak, county Derby, 2 miles N.W. of Winster, and 5 S.W. of Bakewell."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]