A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
BICKINGTON (ABBOT'S), a parish in the hundred of BLACK-TORRINGTON, county of DEVON, 9 miles (S. W. by W.) from Great Torrington, containing 75 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £300 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Lord Rolle. The church, dedicated to St, James, has some remains of ancient stained glass. Limestone, a kind of hard blue stone used in building, and marble, are obtained in the neighbourhood.