Hide

hide
Hide

ABBOTSHAM

From

White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

ABBOTSHAM, a scattered village, nearly two miles W. of Bideford, has in its parish 414 souls, and 1758 acres of land, extending westward to the shore of Bideford or Barnstaple Bay, and including the hamlets of Shepperton, Coombe Walter, and Rickersdown. E. H. Vidal, Esq., is lord of the manor, but Dr. Heywood, Mr. Richd. Turner, Rd. Best, Esq., and a few smaller owners, have estates here. The Church (St. Helen,) is a small antique structure, with a low tower, containing four bells. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £16. 4s. 7d., and in 1831 at £170, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. Edw. A. Sanford, who has 36A. of glebe, and is about to erect a new vicarage house. He is improprietor of nearly all the great tithes, which were commuted in 1840, with the small tithes, for £123.12s. per annum. The Poor's Land is 10A., and the poor have also £4. 10s.. a year, left by Robert Shee, in 1627, out of Bartonmoor close.

Best Rd., Esq. Abbotsham Court
Fulford Wm. parish clerk
Heywood Dr. Kenwith Lodge
Holmes Thos. vict., New Inn
Moss Edw. wheelwright
Sanford Rev Edw. A. Vicarage
Steer John, vict., Heart of Oak

FARMERS.

Bale Edw.
Burdich Wm.
Cork John
Heywood Jph.
Hunt Thos.
Pettle John
Pickard Jasper
Steer John
Turner John
Turner Richard

Transcribed - Brian Randell, 3 Jul 1996