[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"ABBOTSKERSWELL, (or Abbot's Carswell), a parish in the Haytor division of Teignbridge hundred, in the county of Devon, 2 miles S. of Abbots Newton; it lies near the South Devonshire railway, at a short distance from Torbay. Here was anciently a cell to Montacute Abbey. Bovey coal, potters' clay, and alum are found here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter, value £293, and in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Mary.