Hide

hide
Hide

Abbotskerswell

from

A Topographical Dictionary of England

by

 Samuel Lewis (1831)

Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)

KERSWELL (ABBOTS), a parish in the hundred of HAYTOR, county of DEVON, 1¼ mile (S.) from Newton- Bushel, containing 437 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £11. 1. 3., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. A Cluniac priory was founded here subordinate to the priory of Montacute in Somersetshire.