Hide
hide
Hide
Hide

 Alphington

from

A Topographical Dictionary of England

by

 Samuel Lewis (1831)

Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)

 

ALPHINGTON, a parish in the hundred of WONFORD, county of DEVON, l½ mile (S.) from Exeter, containing 1070 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £34. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Rev. R. Ellicombe. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, has a circular Norman font, with intersecting arches and scroll ornaments. Fairs for cattle are held here on the first Wednesdays after June 20th and Michaelmas-day. The river Exe and the Exeter canal pass through the parish, in directions parallel with each other. The lord of the manor had anciently the power of inflicting capital punishment.