"ALVERDISCOTT, or Alscott, is a pleasant village and parish, 5 miles E. by S. of Bideford, containing 332 souls, and 2244 acres of fertile land, including the hamlets of Bullworthy and Stonecross. Richard Preston, Esq., is lord of the manor, formerly held by the Fleming, Bellew, and other families; but A.W.J. Dene, Esq., and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish. The Church (All Saints,) has a tower and three bells, and the living is a rectory. . . . Wibbery, or Webbery, was anciently the seat of a family of its own name, and was successively held by the Lippincotts and Cutcliffes, the latter of whom rebuilt the house about 30 years ago." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Fremington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.
MIs for this parish are included in the Incledon and NDA North Devon indexes - see under Cemeteries on the main Devon page.
Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler. [Covers 1841, 1861, 1871 and 1881 census records for this parish]
Parish Registers going back to 1602 are held in the Devon Record Office.
The Society of Genealogists holds copies of the parish registers containing Christenings (1602-1896), Marriages (1602-1837) and Burials (1612-1812).
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1775-1837 - for details see their Devon Parish List.
Bideford Methodist Circuit baptisms (1819 -1870) transcribed by David Carter. (Contains entries from the following parishes: Abbotsham, Allington, Alverdiscott, Alwington, Appledore, Arlington, Barnstaple, Bideford, Buckland Brewer, Bucks Mills, Burrington, Chulmleigh, Clovelly, Fremington, Frithelstock, Great Torrington, Hatherleigh, Huntshaw, Ilfracombe, Instow, Landcross, Little Torrington, Littleham, Loxhore, Marystowe, Monkleigh, Newton Tracey, Northam, Parkham, South Molton, St Giles in the Wood, Wear Giffard, Westleigh, Woolfardisworthy.)
Other churches and chapels (with pre-1840 records):
- Wesleyan Chapel, Stony Cross: Registers for 1819-37 in PRO RG 4/955 (with Bideford)
Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).
Granville, Roger & Mugford, W.E. (eds.) Alverdiscott 1617 and 1624. Abstracts of the Existing Transcripts of the Lost Parish-Registers of Devon, 1596-1644, and short notes on the extant pre-reformation registers of all the parishes in the county, from particulars furnished by the several incumbents thereof. Vol. 1 A-Bra. Exeter: W. Pollard (1908) [Full text].
An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Abbotsham, Alverdiscott, Alwington, Bideford, Buckland Brewer, Bulkworthy, Clovelly, East Putford, Frithelstock, Hartland, Landcross, Littleham, Monkleigh, Northam, Parkham, Wear Gifford, Welcombe and West Woolfardisworthy. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850 and Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of England 1844, CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2009). [Abbotsham Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Alverdiscott Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1775-1837; Alwington Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Bideford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Buckland Brewer Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Bulkworthy Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1814-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Clovelly Bapt: 1813-1838, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; East Putford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1797-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Frithelstock Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Hartland Bapt: 1838-1839, Mar: 1558-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Landcross Bapt: 1814-1839, Mar: 1761-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Littleham Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1851; Monkleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Northam Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Parkham Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1537-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Wear Gifford Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Welcombe Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1757-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; West Woolfardisworthy Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837.]
Section on Alverdiscott from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Lockie.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Alverdiscott to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Alverdiscott has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Edgecombe, Alan. If walls could talk: a short history of Alverdiscott.Alverdiscott. The Author (1996) 74p: ill.
Franklin, H.L. Alverdiscott: short notes on its history, Bideford, [1936?]w 14 pp. [Westcountry Studies Library: pB/ALV/0001/FRA]
Williams, H. Fulford. Notes on the Parish of Alverdiscott, Devon. Typescript (1965) 8 leaves. [Westcountry Studies Library]
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS519252 (Lat/Lon: 51.007067, -4.112333), Alverdiscott which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Summary of the admon. of Richard Mallett (1643), provided by Mike Mallett.