"ALWINGTON, a parish in the hundred of North Shebbear, in the county of Devon, 4 miles to the S.W. of Bideford railway station. It lies on the river Yeo, which here flows through a valley, and not far from the coast of Barnstaple Bay. It includes the hamlets of Fairy Cross, Ford, and Woodtown. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £243, in the patronage of the Rev. J. T. P. Coffin. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a fine old stone building, with a tower. There is a chapel for Wesleyans, and a parochial school. Almshouses for three poor persons were founded and endowed in 1696, by R. Coffin, Esq. The charities of the parish, including the almshouses, amount to £16. The manor of Alwington has been held by the Coffin family from the Conquest. A chapel formerly stood in Yeo Vale, of which there are still remains."
"FAIRYCROSS, a hamlet in the parish of Alwington, county Devon, 3 miles S.W. Bideford. It is situated near Bideford Bay."
"FORD, a hamlet in the parish of Alwington, county Devon, 3 miles S.W. of Bideford."
"WOODTOWN, a hamlet in the parish of Alwington, county Devon, 2 miles S.W. of Bideford."