A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
ALWINGTON, a parish in the hundred of SHEBBEAR, county of DEVON, 4½ miles (S.W. by W.) from Bideford, containing 386 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £17. 4. 9½., and in the patronage of Richard Pine Coffin, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. In Yeo Vale, so called from being intersected by the river Yeo, are the remains of an ancient chapel. Here are almshouses for three poor persons, endowed, in 1696, by R. Coffin, Esq.