Hide

hide
Hide

ARLINGTON

From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

A Village & Parish 6 miles N.E. of Barnstaple, it has 206 inhabitants & about 2000 acres of land, including the Hamlet of Becott nearly 2 miles north of the church. Sir John Palmer Bruce-Chichester, who was created a baronet in 1840, is Lord of the Manor and owner of most of the soil, and has a handsome seat here called ARLINGTON COURT, but is at present in Malta. The manor was settled on his family inthe reighn of henry VIII. He is patron of the rectory valued in K.B. at £13. 18s. 11½d., and in 1831 at £300. The Rev. James Hamilton Chichester is the incumbent and has a neat Rectory House and 85A. of glebe. The tithes have been commuted for £275 per annum. The Church (St James,) is an ancient structure containing many memorials of the Chichesters. The Rev. Wm. Bampfield who held the rectory for 50 years, died in 1719 and left a farm of 54A. at Goodleigh, and a house and 16A. 3R. 2P. at Barnstaple in trust for the education of a boy at school till he is 19 years of age, and at one of the universities till he is 26 or has taken the degree of M.A. The donor directed that one of his name and kindred should have the preference. The property is now let for about £85 a year; and the rectors of Eastdown, Bratton-Flemming, and Goodleigh are the trustees, and are also the patrons of the rectory of Bradford, which is always presented to a clergyman who has been a scholar under this trust. The poor of Arlington have about 58s. a year from the gifts of Rebecca Crocombe, Rebecca Hayes, and a Mr Burgoyne. In 1669 the Rev. G. Canham left the interest of £40 for apprenticing poor children.

Chichester Sir J.P.B. Bart., Court
Chichester Rev. J.H., Rectory
Mock, James, Post Office
Rockley, John, Corn Miller

FARMERS (* = at Becott)

Abrahams, Wm.
Bale, Samuel
*Blackmore, Chas
Fry, James
*Penberthy, Thos
Ridge, Wm.
*Tucker,Henry
Tucker James
Vickery, John, Combeshead
Yeo, Henry, Briscombe

Transcribed by John Bishop, 29 Jan 1998