[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"ARLINGTON, a parish and township in the hundred of Sherwill, in the county of Devon, 6 miles to the N.E. of Barnstaple. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £272, in the patronage of J. P. Bruce Chichester Esq., who is lord of the manor. The church, dedicated to St, James, has been recently rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in the Gothic style. Arlington House was the seat of the Chichester family."