A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
ARLINGTON, a parish in the hundred of SHERWILL, county of DEVON, 6¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from Barnstaple, containing 177 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £13. 18. 1½., and in the patronage of J. P. B. Chichester, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. James.