Bishop Stapledon and Ashburton


P.F.S. Amery

Devon Notes and Queries Queries vol. 2, no. 6, (1903) pp.161-163.

Prepared by Michael Steer

Bishop Stapledon was Lord of the Manor of Ashburton and stayed at his 'Palace' in the Town.In 1314 he gave the Chapel to the Town to be administered by the original Guild of St Lawrence, led by the Portreeve of the day on the stipulation that a Chantry School was maintained there. This evolved into a Grammar School, which celebrated 600 years of history in 1914. The school closed in 1938 due to a fall in numbers but the building was still used as an annex to the county and primary schools until 1994. Google with the Archive Organization has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. The Internet Archive makes available, in its Community Texts Collection (originally known as Open Source Books), books that have been digitised by Google from a number of libraries. These are books on which copyright has expired, and are available free for educational and research use. This rare book was produced from a copy held by the New York Public Library, and is available from the Internet Archive.

Addy, S D 162
Boase, Rev C 162
Clement V 161
Clinton, Lord 161
Edward II 163
Gifford, William 162
Kennicott, Benjamin 162
Prideaux, John 162
Stapledon, Mabilla de 161
Stapledon, Robert 161
Stapledon, Sir Richard 162
Stapledon, Bishop Walter 161-3
Stapledon, William de 161