"ASHCOMBE, a scattered village and parish, near the source of a rivulet, three miles E. of Chudleigh, has only 297 souls and about 2200 acres of land, including about 500A. of waste and plantations. Sir Rt. L. Newman, Bart., is lord of the manor and owner of most of the soil. The Church was repaired and partly rebuilt in 1825, at the cost of about £1000. It is a neat cruciform structure, with a tower and three bells, and a handsome east window of stained glass. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £18, and in 1831 at £247, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. W.H. Palk, M.A., who has 31A. of glebe, and a good thatched residence, with tasteful grounds. The tithes were commuted in 1842, for £242 per annum. In 1802, Robert Moalle left £3 a year for schooling poor children. The National School, for this parish and Mamhead, has a house for the teachers, and was built by the lord of the manor." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Exminster Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.