"ASHPRINGTON, or Ashpreignton, is a small neat village, picturesquely seated on a gentle slope, near the confluence of the river Harbourn with the estaury of the Dart, 2½ miles S.E. of Totnes. Its parish contains 588 souls, and 2644 acres of fertile land, including the hamlets of Washbourn and Yeatson and part of Tuckenhay, where there is a large paper mill, a corn mill, and quarries of hard stone, of which great quantities are exported in vessels of 160 tons, to London, &c., for Macadamizing roads. Richard Durant, Esq., owns a great part of the parish, and is lord of the manor of Sharpham, where he has a large and handsome freestone mansion with extensive and well-wooded grounds . . . . This manor has been held successively by the Winard, French, Prideaux, Drewe, Giles, Yarde, Cockey, Pownall, and Bastard families. Painsford, an ancient mansion, on the banks of the river Harbourn, is the seat and property of Mr. Philip Mitchelmore, and has been successively held by the Piperell, Halwill, Somaster, Kellond, Courtenay, and other families. . . . The Rev. G.T. Carwithen, Mr.W.D. Adams, C. Pearce, Esq., Mr. T. Mudge, J. Browne, Esq., and several other freeholders have estates in the parish. The Church (St. David,) is a handsome structure, in the perpendicular style, with a tower and five bells. . . . The rectory, valued in K.B. at £29. 1s. 8d., and in 1831 at £560, is in the patronage of the Rev. T.G. Carwithen, and has been held by the Rev. Jacob Ley, M.A., since 1795. The Rectory House is a neat mansion, and the glebe is 28A. 3R. 17P. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Coleridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of the South Hams area.
In 1884 the boundaries were rationalised, with the detached part of Halwell parish was transferred to Blackawton parish, whilst the detached part of Ashprington parish was transferred to Halwell.