"ASHPRINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Coleridge, in the county of Devon, 2½ miles to the S.E. of Totness, its post town, 7 N.W. of Dartmouth, and 10 S.W. of Torquay. It is situated on a gentle slope at the confluence of the river Harebourn with the Dart, and near the South Devon railway. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £539, in the patronage of the Rev. G. T. Carwithen, the incumbent. The church, dedicated to St. David, is a fine old structure, in the perpendicular style of architecture, and was entirely repaired in 1844 at the cost of £1,000. A handsome parochial school was built in 1847, by R. Durant, Esq., of Sharpham House, who is lord of the manor and chief proprietor of the soil. There is also an almshouse and some small charities. Ashprington House is the residence of Gen. Sir G. Adams; and Pensford House is an ancient mansion on the banks of the river Harebourn. The parish is watered by three rivers, the Dart, Harebourn, and Washbourn, and contains the hamlets of Pensford, Yeatson, Washbourn, and a part of Tuckerhay."
"PAINSFORD, a chapelry in the parish of Ashprington, hundred of Coleridge, county Devon, 3 miles S.E. of Totnes. It is situated on the river Hareborne, a tributary of the Dart. The chapel, which was dedicated to St. David, has long been in ruins. There is a mineral spring."