Ashprington (& Painsford)
A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
ASHPRINGTON, a parish in the hundred of COLERIDGE, county of DEVON, 3 miles (S. E.) from Totness, containing 619 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £29. 1. 8., and in the patronage of the Rev. G. Carwithen, and R. Newman, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. David. The navigable river Dart is joined by the Hareborn on the north-eastern border of the parish.
PAINSFORD, a chapelry in the parish of ASHPRINGTON, hundred of COLERIDGE, county of DEVON. The chapel, which was dedicated to St. David, is in ruins. Here is a mineral spring, the water of which is occasionally used for medicinal purposes.